Exhaust manifold replacement

BCM

• Baller

So, I bought a 98 CC this winter. I did a pretty good inspection before bringing it home. But, I missed the little bit of JB weld on the bottom of the exhaust manifold. Its time for new manifolds. Do people generally replace the riser as well at this point? Besides manifold and gaskets is there anything else I need (e.g. my old Ford diesel required needed new bolts when pulling the old manifold)? Anything I should be checking while I have the manifolds off? Any help would be appreciated.

Has anyone had any luck sourcing manifolds through an auto parts store? My local Napa is pretty good with my tractor and pickup stuff, haven't tried boat parts.

Thanks.

• Baller
I just put new manifolds on a 2000 Malibu that had 2 seasons in salt water. The risers looked pretty rough so I replaced them as well. Got the parts (risers, manifolds, gaskets, new bolts and new hose connectors) through Discount Inboard Marine. Www.skidim.com

• Baller
Skidim and NautiqueParts are great sites for CC parts. You'll need gasket kits for the manifolds . They are standard Ford 351. Aduming you have a GT40. Shinny side out. Looking at the riser should be easy once off. You'll need the riser gasket. Check the inside of your exhaust hoses and look for blisters. Exhaust hoses should be stiff when you squeeze them. If their soft it might have over heated and blistered them at some point. The bolt kit isn't expensive. The riser bolts may break. That is common. The manifold bolts are usually solid but you may have one or 2 that have a little rust on the area between the threads and the head.

• Baller

Thanks. I'll plan on everything new between the head and the hose. I have used Nautique parts and SkiDim for various parts with good luck, but I do like to find things through the local parts store when possible.

Bolt issues are normal. I'm getting started on a complete engine overhaul on a '47 Ford tractor (2n), that has some bolt issues...

@rico - my brother dropped a bolt in the intake manifold of his truck when he was 16 while replacing the manifold for a smog legal one. Didn't know where the bolt when until he started it. It was amazing how many cylinders pieces of the bolt made it in to. Are you suggesting there is a market for used manifolds? Would have never thought about selling manifolds with holes in them.