FM Revo Sub-Z

OldboyII

• Baller

Was always wondering why release on ski binding goes from based on totally vague capacity of rubber boot or elastic laces to precise alpine style silvreta.

Why nothing in between?

For example like in telemark Rottefella's - three different pre-sets, and that is enough.

Same approach may be used for water ski release unit - just few inserts with different flex for different skiers style/weight instead of springs, screws, maintenance, rust etc. etc.

• Baller
This is probably a question for mmosely or one of the others with technical expertise, but it seems like we now have two distinctly different evolutions of hard shell binding designs: those that hold the toe really securely (Reflex Supershell and this one) and those that hold the heel securely and release at the toe (OB4, MOB). It seems to me that the heel release is a better option, as it protects the Achilles tendon and foot better, but probably does not protect the ankle joint as well in twisting falls. Comments?

• Baller

@wtrskior have you used it/seen it?

I see this as quite novel anyhow.

@skialex it is apparent that depending on which "tooth" the ratchet strap is engaged on the far side that when closed it generates a varied amount of clamping pressure into the back of the heel ledge. Maybe not measurable - and in fact it might mean that only one or two teeth on that are meaningful in regards to tension. A smaller/finer method might be beneficial however that finer mechanism will have the service issues that so many people dislike.

A redesign of this could have threaded adjusters that pushed inwards on the release surface and a "fixed" clamp strap length.

A roller on a shaft that sat into a groove on the back of the heel ledge would also be an interesting concept.

• Baller

@OldboyII I realy like FM's front strap, I was using it on my Reflex until the stainless steel toe horseshoe came out and still believe that it is a great choice, I also like that they are using 400 & 404 Silvrettas but the buckle heel strap as a release mechanism has not convinced me yet safety wise.

I might need to watch a more detailed video on how it works.