My wish came true!

skialex

• Baller

After 3 years on the same ski I felt that it was time to try and find a new ski to continue on. The 2 skis that caught my interest were the Denali and the Rev6. But what were the chances of trying without buying in Greece?

So about a month ago a friend bought a Rev6 and I rode it first, wow very good ski and now another friend bought a Denali and gave it to me to try it first, one set so far and I absolutely love it and I have it until Monday.

Thanks to my friends, my impossible wish came true!784vtxl5sw8p.jpeg

wrzuvz6wlc2b.jpeg

x486zjzonhjq.jpeg

• Baller

@Chef23 I'm taking a set in about 2 hours from now, I'll let you know. Put the fin forward to 900", added some depth to the off side and decrease some to the onside 2.464 - 2.445".

So far the ski has the potential to become my favorite, can't wait to ski it again.

• Supporting Member
@skialex Oh good, I'm glad you are in-the-loop about the way-forward settings. :smile: There's been a very interesting progression on the Denalis where the favorite setup is rather unconventional -- at least by the standard of the last decade or so. (Intriguingly, some older skis had factory settings kinda similar to these latest Denali settings.)

• Supporting Member
Sidenote: It is a way cool world we live in where a "garage" startup can almost instantly find and please customers in many corners of the world. Greece (skialex) and Australia (customski) are just two of the countries that now contain Denalis.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan thanks, first set settings were already unconventional, ski was fast in a very good way, second set, moving the fin forward raised the tip and made me work a lot more to run passes, it felt closer to my XT, maybe I should have moved the bindings too.

To be fair second set was on a heavy head tail wind but I still believe that first's set settings were better for me.

I'll ask @AdamCord but I think I should move fin back towards 850".

Both sets I ski -28s and a couple of -32s

I'll ski some more tomorrow.

• Supporting Member

Where are you on the boots and with what size ski? I apologize if I wasn't supposed to reveal this, but @AdamCord has recently been experimenting with almost comically forward settings that have been kicking ass. It seems there is enormous room to put the bindings on this ski, so long as you make the fin match (or you can think of it vice versa).

I have a theory that the way-forward settings will make it an easier transition for someone coming from a "normal" ski, but that remains to be proven out.

• Supporting Member

30.5" on the 66.5"? That seems about right (notwithstanding Cord's possibly-crazy settings being much further forward).

The thing to watch out for if you put the DFT back near to the "normal" range is that you can make your easier passes feel better but your harder passes worse. The ability to rotate quickly gets more and more valuable as the line gets shorter.

But that's just something to keep an eye out for. If it doesn't happen, then don't worry about it!

• Baller

@ISP6ball I have great expectations of this ski. Ski is not mine, but I might have to buy it or buy me an other one.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'll only ski one set tomorrow cause I'm tired, ski 7 days in a row and don't have much energy left in me.

• Baller_
Just move my fin to 1.00. Added some length and depth. Boots at 30.5 (was at 29.5). First set on it this morning and the first 32 was silly easy. I fully trusted the settings and just skied. Then I got all up in my own head and started to try to feel things and move around to see what it would do. The rest of the 32s were sub par but ran them. Prev numbers were sooooo far from that. I am amazed just how far things can be moved around..in unison and the ski still functions so well. Am including the newer Denali as well.

Skialex, 5th set on my Denali I ran 35 off which I haven't done for 6+ years. First the support from the Adams is first class. Second the ski is mighty fast off the back of the ball and the effort required to get up on the boat is far less than any other ski I have tried/used for my line lengths (28-35). Third, this is the first ski I have had that just makes me smile! I cant put that into words but it's only limitation is what's standing on top of it. It's not a panacea to all ski ailments, but the person who has driven me for the last 13 years ...Quote.." its nice to see you have the joy back in your skiing"

My advice is to analyse what you are doing, take out the noise from a bad set, be critical about what you want and seek advice and adjust accordingly. That's why 'First' is important. Enjoy it ...its unique.

• Supporting Member
Whoops, I wasn't totally paying attention! Going from 0.85 to .90 is a HUGE move. Done in isolation from a good point I'd expect the result to be unskiable. So maybe the surprise is that it was even "OK." But, as experienced by Wish and others [not yet me, but soon!], it seems to be fine to go 0.9 or further paired with boots forward.