selecting a youth ski

wtrskr

I know this topic has been brought up recently but I have a few specific questions to my circumstance.

I have a 9 year old boy that has been skiing the last two years on a real old ski and I'm looking to get him an upgrade prior to next season. I also have a 7 year old boy that will hopefully transition from two to one ski very soon. Our group mostly free skis but we do have periodic access to a course.

-What size ski would you go with, 63 or 62 I assume? Is 64 or 65 too big?

-Is there a decent adjustable boot system that they could both get away with using (toe plate in back)? One is Left Foot Forward and the other will be Right Foot Forward.

-I know that the Total Radar Awesomeness is an option if I buy new, but what are some skis I should look at if I go used? Ski-it-again, for example, currently has reasonably priced listings for and older Goode, an Allegiance, HO Slash and D3 Nomad. I don't keep up on ski technology much, and am not sure how much the ski differences matter for little guys?

-While I'm throwing out questions, what speed would you recommend starting a kid on course?

Thx WBLskier, I'll send a PM to get some info.

When I say he's currently on real old ski, I mean he's on the same one I was on at his age. It works to hang out behind the boat on, however I'm sure something newer would work significantly better form him as his skills progress.

I'm not opposed to getting a ski that is a few years old. In my view, sometimes it is better to get a product that had been top of the line when it was new than a product that is new but not top of the line. I'm not sure if that is true with kids skis though.

• Baller_

Starting out at the 15mph range, you will definitely want a 64-65. When he gets closer to 30, then the 62 would be the right size.

Kids ski sizes

For the binding, its important that it fit snuggly. Wiley or most other brands are fine at this stage.

If your 7yo is still on 2 skis the best thing is to have him run the course on 2 at 10mph, long line and bump up the speed by 1mph as he makes each pass.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

Huh, I'll have to try that with the 7yo. I didn't know that it was realistic for a kid on two skis to be able to make it across the course in time.

I did try the older one out on a ladies fat ski behind a Prostar 197. It didn't go so well first try as he was intimidated by the size of the wake.

The little one is bigger for his age so their foot size isn't too different. It would be nice if we could have one ski for the both of them. Are most people using adjustable bindings for kids or swapping out the bindings every couple of years as the kid grows into the ski?

Another question as I read your article - do you start them on the course with a 75 foot rope or a 60 foot rope?

I assume that slalom ropes start at 60 feet in length instead of 75 because that extra 15 feet doesn't make the course any easier.

• Baller_

To start out, long line is absolutely easier. Be sure to use a lightweight rope so it doesn't drag in the water. Once they get to the high 20's, then you can experiment with 15 off. We tried both 15 and long line, and there was not a clear benefit to either.

There was a B1 at Nationals last week competing on 2 skis. He ran a pass at 17 and got a buoy or 2 at 19.

I would try to get a fixed binding vs adjustable. The adjustables have almost no support and little feet will be moving all over.

You're right on the new vs old ski to start. You can pick any "easy to ride" ski that is within 10 years old and be fine.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
@wtrskr you can indeed use the same ski for both with my MOB system. My kids used the same ski for a while, one left foot forward and one right foot forward, with rtp. But you may not be there yet, my kids learned to run the mini course on two skis first, then on one wide ride ski, then outer course on a wide ride ski, before moving to a competition style ski. It's about them having fun, but competition with their same aged friends is a natural occurance. That might mean you have to teach some other kids also!

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller