2016 Radar Vapor at 30MPH?

david_quail

Hi guys/gals.

Newbie skier. 1st year skiing let alone the course. So so so much work to do but on the cusp of running a modest 6 balls @ 15 off @ 30mph after getting 5 on Friday.

Question about skis.

I'm 6'0, 186lbs. I'm a sucker for new technology and buying the latest and greatest toys. So I'm skiing on a 67 lithium vapor.

Obviously it's more ideal for faster speeds (34MPH+). But how much of a disservice to my skiing can I blame on this? My assumption is that there's a million and one things in my skiing holding me back more so than the ski. And that I could nicely graduate into it as I progress into higher speeds.

Perhaps it's the end of season sales ... but I'm considering getting a Senate to use as I get into 32MPH.

So I guess my question is ... is using a ski like the vapor that I have actually holding a skier back that much at slower speeds such as 30 and 32MPH? Would a ski like the senate really make that much of a difference?

• Administrators
@david_quail Lithium Vapor is not the ski i would have recommended to a skier at your level but it is not holding you back. I love the Senate but you are good unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

I was in your shoes a couple months ago. Riding a ho a2 at 30mph. I could not run the course! Best I had was maybe 3 bouys. I finally had to blame the ski although I thought like you, it's me. Hindsight, I think it was 50/50. Fast forward, I tried my buddies old d3 nomad, which I think is a high end ski? Within four passes I completed 30mph and started working on 32mph. Maybe a dozen or so sets in now and I'm almost ready for 34mph. I traded that a2 for a cx and it is better for me, I can turn it on a dime, but have the hardest time getting in position for a good pull across the wake. In short, I don't think there's a need for a new ski although something like a Senate or other crossover will likely allow you to progress faster.

• Baller
The only thing I would question is if that 67" is sinking a little on you at 30mph. I think it should be okay but you want to make sure you have enough support at the slower speeds which makes the ski much more forgiving.

• Baller
I am the identical height & weight and been riding the 67" Vapor since last fall.... I only get in the course once or twice a year, so needless to say, I find myself skiing 30 mph and have found very little issues with the ski at this speed. Coming from an A2 which I found very unforgiving at that speed. I have jumped on other skies to get through the course easier at the slower speed, but if you are committed to developing the correct form and rhythm required to move to faster speeds and shorter lines, it is my opinion that it should be just fine and you can invest the money in more important things.