Storing a boat in FL in the Summer

PT Mike

• Members
My ski partner and I got a place in West Palm a few years ago to train during the Winter months. We usally tow my boat down in November and bring it back north in May/June. We would like to purchase a boat to leave in FL year round but that means storing it unused during the hot humid months of Summer. There is a slight chance we might score indoor storage but probably the boat will be outside with a full waterline/waterproof cover with four vents. I'm hoping that if the boat is put away bone dry we won't have a problem with mildew. Any additional tips or advice? I don't think we will have access to electric. The only other thing I can think of is removing some of the interior ( motor box,observer/drivers seat, and maybe the trunk) and storing it in the condo. We are pretty much set on a 07-09 SN 196 Thanks in advance.

• Baller
I used to store my boat at an outdoor storage area with a cover. The heat that builds up under that cover will dry out most any moisture pretty quickly. I think if you open up all of the storage areas and prop open the motor box, so that moisture can escape while evaporating you should be ok. Some damprid added to some more enclosed areas wouldn't hurt. I have more mildew issues now that I keep in my garage. Spraying everything down with Obex would be good also.

• Baller
If you put it away bone dry, you should have no issues. I would recommend a carport (portable 12 x 20 or longer 8 or 10 post) to minimize the sun damage to your cover and any exposed parts of the boat. Where do you plan to keep it? I keep mine near Okeeheelee where a lady rents spaces to about 8 to 10 of us, so if you were to keep it there, I could check on it from time to time.

• Baller
@PT Mike - I don't know for sure about Nancy. Every year I've been there (pretty much from the beginning), she has said she will be out of there within 2 years and it never happened. This year, someone told me the place is sold, but the new owner will not take possession until next year. They did not know if the new owner would be willing to allow the boat storage to continue or not either. Just waiting to see how it pans out. Still the cheapest storage around by far for me, so I'm staying until the end...