27K for a brand new ski boat

oldjeep

• Baller_

I believe that is one of the original Gekko hulls. So looked back at boat buyers guides (BBG) from 1995 as I do not believe the hull has been changed. Back then, the BBG were somewhat worth comparing boats vs later yrs when the BBG became brochures for boat companies. Back then, they rate that hull as on par with the MC 190 and the SN 196 in terms of wake size and hardness. Flat out beats all the rest hands down in that respect. As for tracking they say... "Don't be deceived. This smaller boat tracks with the best and has low flat slalom wakes to complete the package" I know the GTR tracks like no other and GTS has a very similar and different looking hull..not normal looking at all. Note: sticker price back then $16K.

1996 BBG " On a pure Skiability level, the GTS 20 lives up to it's billing. Slalom wakes are on par with the best closed-bow inboards, and there is no rooster tail to contend with at any line length. Small and soft at long line lengths and slower speeds, they're great for beginners or novices"

2007 BBG "..83" beam keeps the wakes extremely small.....provides impressive hole shot even with standard engine."

They would have a much better shot at selling that with ZO installed. At that price, it is close to being able to find a used 196 with ZO.

I wonder what just the motor is worth in that thing?

• Baller

If I am going to buy a new boat it is going to have Zero Off, anything else is not worth the time, effort or money to me. Of the boats in that price range I would consider the 196 the best. Others may disagree, but as far as a 25 grand ZO boat it is pretty hard to beat the 196.

Plus to me, that boat is down right hideous. That windshield looks like an afterthought stolen from a motorcycle.

I won't deny drinking the Nautique coolaid. I will take a pull behind anything anytime, but as far as boats I want to own my mind is made up.

• Baller

@wish gekko cruise -

I searched about that like crazy a bit ago when I was shopping perfect pass. I know for instance Gekko boats are available with both Gekko Cruise and Zero Off - so they must have the econtrols ecm.

Which means there is someone making some form of ECM cruise control that isn't PP or Zero off... Only I found absolutely no information on them anywhere.

• Baller
The GTS is not and never was made to be a luxury ski boat. It is a ski tug that still looks great, skis great, will blow the pants off of other boats speed wise, and costs a fraction of the price. It is funny how some people almost get upset when they hear how great any GEKKO skis and especially after they hear the price. I am not trying to start anything, but see it as a good thing that the big names have some lower price competition, cause that will hopefully make them pull there heads out of the clouds and lower the CRAZY prices of a boat that is only 21' long! Just my $0.02

• Baller
Regarding taking a bath. Most boat dealers have flooring financing for invent. As inventory ages leders require payment on the inventory that did not sell in a timely manner. So sometimes dealers face deadlines and they let things go for what's owed. Or they pay off the loan on unsold inventory and have tied up there cash and again conclude to let it go and use there cash for something that helps them. Two years old may exceed a flooring limit and could as you suggest force a dealer "to take a bath on a boat" and move ahead.

• Baller
@Roger - they use Ford engines this year, previously they were chevy. I'm also assuming that since you can get the non competition ZO on every Malibu - which have had Indmar Ford engines for the last 2 years (except response) that it should be possible to get the 3 event ZO on a Ford by now.

• Baller
eControls is who makes the ECM that runs the ZO boats. While it was a direct replacement originally for the GM MEFI-4 in boats, It's not and never was based on a GM part. It did use a common plug to the GM MEFI, though, and was programmed to accept the inputs from the GM sensors like the cam sync. ZO using the eControls ECM has been available for the Ford engines starting with the '16 model year. If it's like other boat brands using the GM engines, if you order the boat without ZO, the eControls ECM doesn't get flashed for the speed control. Adding ZO requires having the ECM reflashed in order to allow the CAN interface to provide the control inputs.

• Baller

@Monkstr6100 - I must be going to the wrong site then as I don't see ZO mentioned at all on Gekkosports.com. Is there another site to look at or can you provide a link to a page of theirs that shows ZO as an option please?

I'm glad to see that ZO is compatible with Ford engines though as I hate to see one engine (or anything) have a monopoly.

• Baller

@roger

http://www.gekkosports.com/gts-20

"2016 Gekkos are outfitted with the latest in technology including complete fly by the wire digital controls. Digital and analog gauges allow you to have complete engine control at just the touch of a button. Using the best possible marine interiors using top grade vinyls, foams, threads and synthetic base materials Gekkos removable seats allow you to clean your boat with ease. Amp up your ride with Infinity’s award winning bluetooth, high power stereo equipped with AM/FM tuner, full color LED display, iPod/iPhone control and Sirius Satellite Radio. Take your experience on the water to another level with Zero Off Speed controls. Don't compromise when it comes to fun on the water, get more of what you want with Gekko."

• Baller

The GTS 20 runs 50MPH, has excellent wakes into the deepest shoreline and virtually no chine stray. Since we introduced it the rave reviews have been plentiful. It has consistently won top tracking, blistering acceleration and excellent wakes reviews across many mag tests. More recently we upgraded just about everything- New Medallion 5" dash electronics, full digital fly by wire shift and throttle, Indmar 330HP with cruise as standard, new interior and a ton of other upgrades including a full featured trailer designed to retail for about $35k. With performance on par with just about anything out there it's an awesome buy. It's somewhat spartan but it's fun and it delivers.

Oldjeep is right I've got a 1996 GTS at my house with 1500+ hours on it that gets used nearly every day. Everyone loves skiing behind it and there have been lots of PBs behind it from skiers owning other brands. We sold it new to tournament skiers who subsequently bought a lot on a ski lake with a club boat. We bought it back a few years ago thinking we'd use it then turn it. Everyone loves it so we've put another 500 hours on it and a family member now won't let us sell it.

Yes, Boomerang Sports here in MN has one left. It certainly can be upgraded with ZO, the speedo on the dash is meant to be traded out so it fits and looks factory installed. It's roughly a $1500 option so some dealers elect not to order it. Yes, he's paying monthly interest and since it's nearly October, he's discounting it heavily to move it. It's a sweet deal. If anyone on BOS buys it and wants ZO we'll happily sell them a 3 event system at cost to help. Certainly someone could buy a used boat but getting a new one with the latest engine technology and warranties plus that new boat smell is worth it!

• Baller
Thanks for posting @gman . A GTS (or GTR) is on my short list for the next boat. Have been a fan since the early days, but have yet to see one in New England. Ski buddies agree - this boat fits our needs perfectly. Excellent slalom performance, fast, easy to trailer, and great quality and value. Really like that reverse white red gel on Boomerang's boat.