Shoulder Issues

PT Mike

• Members

This past Saturday at my last tourney of the year the rope/loop slipped off the pylon (another story) on my gate @ -22 resulting in a pretty good digger into the wake. Got the wind knocked out of me, but other than the shot to the ribs i was OK, no pain or discomfort antwhere else. I woke up Sunday with my ribs just as sore as they were Saturday night so all good on the ribs. Woke up Monday with my right shoulder pretty jacked up, certain motions causing some pretty good discomfort. As the day wore on the shoulder got worse, after my cardio workout Monday night my shoulder was completely jacked. I have an appointment for this Friday with the ortho, anti-inflammatory stuff is out as i'm on blood thinners. I iced it Monday night and it seems better this morning but what gives? Can the shot i took to the right side jack up my shoulder? And if so, why did it a take or so for symptoms to appear?

Thanks for any input.

• Baller

It can take a little while for the swelling to build. You certainly could have jacked your shoulder up some with a fall. The ortho may want to wait a bit before they do anything but if you can't take anti-inflammatories (I really try not to also) you may be able to get them to give you a shot of something for the swelling. If it seems somewhat better this morning after some ice it is hopefully just a little aggravated and will be ok.

I found a shoulder program that really helped my shoulder which had been jammed up for a long time. It is really simple and only takes 5-10 minutes a day. I can't figure out how to post the link right now but I will come back later and put a link to the book I got it out of from Amazon.

• Members
@Chef23 I got the link you sent via PM Thank You. I can't wrap my head around this injury but i guess anythings possible. The older i get the more pissed i get when something hurts or slows me down. But then again it could be so much worse.

• Baller

sounds like rotator cuff tendonopothy of some kind or possible tears (which in most cases heal without any chemical or surgical operations). Pretty common in our sport; I've dealt with varying degrees of it in both shoulders and in a few of the rotator tendons.

rest, rest, rest is the best recipe IMO, a little ice in the first 48hrs if its truly inflamed. If it does not improve in a few days or you have trouble sleepin on the shoulder and have pain, see a doc.

take a trip to a physio, they will be able to pin point which tendon(s) are the issue and provide therapy to reduce inflammation as well as exercises and stretches to get back out there 100%.

The pec muscles and lats are a huge pull on the rotator cuff muscles, so stretching them can really help.