Wakeye shaky footage (Made 4 passes at -28 off today)

cragginshred

• Baller

For those of you using Wakeye is this the results you typically get? All the parts are tight but this is not even from slack hits. Often in the videos it will shake while in the glide or randomly through out the pass. @Horton not slamming the company just trying to get a better video!

ps Made -28 passes in both sets today with 2 per set as an all time PB!! Sorry so shaky.....

• Baller

Nice skiing! I wish one day I could ski like this.

Wakeye is just tracking device, may be the best in class. But it is not a kind of steadycam device. it is not designed for this.

All stabilization and focus job is done by recording device.

Almost all guys who can brag with steady and clear ski video use camcorders with advanced optics, stabilisation and focus.

• Baller
This was recorded with my ipad which is secured in the wakeye with no movement but the footage shakes even in the glide. When I first got it they told me to tighten all the allen screws which I did. Maybe my iphone will be more secure in there? I will try Vimeo to have less compression

• Baller

@cragginshred,

What you are likely seeing is either some form of image stabilization or rippling due to the rolling shutter of the CMOS camera sensor. I would guess image stabilization is the most likely reason. Either way, the problem is vibration coming from the pylon. Wakeye sells a shock isolator meant to counteract this:

Wakeye Shock Isolator

I'm not entirely sure how effective the wakeye version is, but I've built something similar myself and it proved very effective at solving the problem above. Alternatively, you could also use a JVC camcorder (even the cheap ones are fine) which has electronic image stabilization that works pretty well at the higher frequency vibrations coming through the pylon. The reason most image stabilization doesn't work is that is calibrated to work well at the frequency that a human hand might jitter which is almost always less than ~15Hz.