3-Axis Gimbal for Pylon Video

cvaught

• Baller

I find it really difficult to watch videos taken from the pylon due to the shakiness. Even the relatively good quality videos have significant shakiness issues as discussed in many other threads on here. Thus, has anyone experimented with a 3-axis gimbal for stabilizing the video? There are a ton of handheld gimbals and most quadcopters have some gimbal options. Unfortunately, the only mountable gimbal I have found is this one:

3-Axis Gimbal

Has anyone tried anything like this? My biggest concern is that it might lag behind the skier due to pylon movement being detected as too sudden of a change and thus the gimbal correcting against it at first. Also, it is disappointing that it only works with an action camera.

The gimbal uses a single "camera forward" position that's user set. It will then keep the camera facing that spot regardless of where you move the camera base. So, alone it won't track the skier. The question is whether the stabilizing movement are enough to take the shake out of the pylon mount (which attaches to the rope).