Help with 1,3,5 movement! (Edge Change or something else?) Video

Icebergman

32 off/ 13m (58KMH) from Andrew Bergman on Vimeo.

38 off/ 11.25m (58KMH) from Andrew Bergman on Vimeo.

Hey Ballers, I am pretty new around here but I wanted to post some video and ask for some advice! The two videos I posted are of 32 and 38 off. The 32 seems relatively smooth but the movement out of 1,3,5 is abrupt and a little stiff perhaps? everything I have been told about slalom skiing tells me that something I am doing before this is what is causing it and I am thinking it may be the way I am releasing the handle? The second pass is 38 and you can really see where this movement gets me into a lot of trouble, any advice is appreciated!

• Baller
Dude -- first off the fact that you ran 38 with that start is pretty awesome. I think you are not staying on top of the ski, but are releasing early, tipping in, then stuck with the load that comes with it. If you can keep the handle tight with two hands on and stay on top of the ski in the approach, I think it will reduce the snap and load at 38. Easy to say, tough to do! I sometimes have the same tendency on my heelside turn. If I force myself to think about staying with the handle and letting myself rise up and forward over the ski in the approach, it seems to solve it.

@Razorskier1 I definitely struggle with keeping two hands on and thus staying over the ski. I cannot seem to find the balance between the release and the control. I seem to either release my outside hand right at the whitewash or I hold on way to long and end up not being able to swing effectively. Not sure how to remedy this been working on it for a couple months.

@skiep Thanks I will definitely try and get wider on the boat on my glide!

• Elite Skier
@Icebergman like @Razorskier1 said thinking about rising over the front of the ski the minute you change edges. You are coming into both sides on your back foot, don't be afraid to climb all over the front of that ski. As for the handle release think about releasing when you have already created all the width you can. From there you can allow the ski to flow out underneath you. Another thing I see to is from second wake to buoy, you let your arms out, giving all the space you have created back to the boat putting you on a narrow path, take that handle with you out to the buoy. Hope this helps.