pcm 343 high oil pressure

jimski

• Baller

We bought a nautique 210 with rebuilt short block in it, the original block froze. Right from the start this motor has had some issues oil leaks at the oil pan, intake manifold and timing cover and very high oil pressure, when its up to temperature at an idle it sits at 60 psi when you run it up to 3000 rpm it goes up to 120 psi. I eliminated the external oil filter and spun one onto the block and put a manual pressure guage on the block and ended up with the same out come. It keeps throwing a fault code of high oil pressure. I run 20-50 weight oil I don't think the oil is the problem I have ran this weight in all my boats and currently run it in my 200 with the 343 and no issues.

Is the oil pressure relief valve on the oil pump stuck. any one had this problem before

any insight would be appreciated

Thanks

• Baller
@jimski I have seen a few engines when rebuilt are tight enough that with the high volume pump it over runs the bypass creating the scenario you describe. Normal bypass pressure is around 80. It normally isn't a big job to change out an oil pump but in a boat it requires the engine to come out. The high oil pressure could be part of the reason you have had leaks also. The main worry with high oil pressure is that it will "wash" the bearings resulting in premature failure.

• Baller

Thanks for the info@skier2788 this is what I have been thinking and I have heard about bearings being washed before

I have everything striped out of the boat and the motor is set to be pulled on Tuesday for a new oil pump