2017 Pro Build Setup Help

buoyboy1

• Baller
Trying to help a buddy set up a 68". Any advice for binding and fin settings for 55 degree water and a 35 to 38 off skier? We are having to put front binding at 30 1/2" just to get it to want to turn offside which seems way too far forward. Other current settings .750 2.455 6.960 Still not working very well on the offside. Thanks.

• Baller

@buoyboy1 Don't second guess your bindings-forward results. The actual number is close to meaningless; performance is all that matters. I'm a full 1/2" forward of stock on my Vapor right now. It may be 1/16th forward of perfect for me, but out of curiosity, I'd like to try even further forward if my binding plate would let me.

The Vapor has a full figured forebody with a narrowish tail. And when you use the front of the ski properly, it carves turns like it's on rails, with the tip staying down and engaged right into the cut. The key here is "use the front of the ski properly." Very, very few of us can use the front of a Vapor as aggressively as its designer @Chris Rossi. Of course some can, but depending on your skier's personal technique and gear (double boots?), you may not be able to go far enough forward to find "perfect." I'm finding that even skiers who are heavy on the tip and RTP skiers find at least 1/4" forward better than stock.

The key is to get the fin working right for this binding forward change. If you want to move your bindings around on a Vapor without affecting either tip-engagement or smear, simply reducing FL by 10% of the distance you move the bindings forward will keep the fin-related behaviors nearly unaffected.