How much $$$ to host a pro event? Slalom, Trick, Jump, and Wakeboard

Ralph Lee

• Baller
I'm talking like the old pro tour where everybody showed up over one long weekend. It used to be a very successful turn out here in Oregon. I'm friends with the local ski shop/boat dealer, who shows interest and ski at a lake that could accommodate.Leaving prize money out of it is there anyone out there that could give me a ball park figure that I could run with? Anyone??

• Administrators

Class F, C, L, or R?

Do you already have a surveyed course?

Do you already have a jump ramp?

Do you already have facilities on site to accommodate the public?

Do you already have judges Towers and a scoring building?

Do you have all of the video equipment for boat camera and end course?

Do you have........

The cost depends on your existing infrastructure and what level event you wish to host. If you do it class F you can do it very much on the cheap but then you are going to need extra prize money to bring in elite skiers.

• Baller
When you say you have a dealer interested, would they be providing your boats? especially if you are trying to bring wake events in having boats provided would be an organization headache off your shoulders and probably a mild cost saver. What level of advertising dollars/sponsorships are available in the area?

• Baller
@Horton @RazorRoss3 @bishop8950 - the course was just re-surveyed this September. Sounds like the only thing missing with the site is a judging tower, but I'm in construction. The dealer I know is a long time amateur 3 event skier and I'm positive I could get him to supply any model of Nautique or Malibu, plus the food stands. If I could convince him he'd sell a boat or two out of it he might even be willing to put up some prize money. 've only recently got a serious about trying to get it around. If everyone broke even somehow I know I could make it happen.

• Baller

Malibu Open $60000 in prize money for men's and women's. slalom and jump. Add men women trick could be another 30000. We also do 4000 in jr scholarships. Not to mention paying for use of site. Set up. Tents bathrooms webcast officials travel and the numerous other expenses. Very big budget to put on. And every waterski event trying to get money from the same industry sponsors. Harder to accomplishing than most people can imagine. I know the California pro am with slalom only is a pretty big budget as well. Greg does a good job of cultivating outside industry local sponsors as well

• Baller
@Ralph Lee good for you for making the effort! Do your homework as you have started here. Try to get guys on the phone who have done it before to learn from them. Just don't assume it's easy. As Chad said, there is more to it than most can imagine. I am no expert, but I know enough to know I would seek a lot of input before I did anything.

• Baller

I expect that some pro tournament organizers may want to speak up. There should be a

wide range from small to very large. With events like the Masters and Malibu Open at

the high end now. Would also be interesting to see what the budgets were for pro events

back several years, such as the original Tour.

• Baller
I would start with my local sports commission / travel and tourism / convention bureau, etc. They have insight into where you could go for sponsors and logistical assistance. If run correctly, it could be a financial success for both the promoter and the athletes. If not, it could be a disaster. The best way to run an event is to concentrate your efforts on the competitive aspects (course, boats, judges, etc) similar to any other tournament. Then, have others involved who know how to create sponsor value, food and beverage, marketing (align your event with a local TV/Radio station), etc. It takes a small army to plan these events and a much larger one to actually execute. Back in day, I was part of the Champion Lake Pro Classic that ran successfully for years (part of the ESPN Summer Nights broadcasts) - even with the assistance of World Sports Marketing handling most of the planning and marketing, it was quite a logistical challenge locally.

• Baller

I am going to do my homework, just thought I'd throw a couple questions out here first. I may be dreaming but I picture a tournament like the 2003 04 Malibu open. I personally think you have to add Wakeboarding in to draw the crowd I'm wanting.

There's 7 or 8 private sites within an hour or so to this lake, all with die hard skiers, and no pro tour that comes to town anymore. It may be a realistic goal...

• Baller

@Ralph Lee Malibu Open 2002 at Bell Acqua. Maybe that year? There have been

several pro events there, plus Nationals. I remember 2002 just for the Jumping, where the

Womens and Mens World Records were broken, with bonus money paid.

We went Tour-ing to Oregon many times on Blue Lake. 1994--2000? One great extra was

going to Mt. Hood to snow ski early-early, and then return to work at the site during the week.

• Baller

Depending on the site, you may want to consider an insured World Record bonus. I have

seen a WR happen and get paid 4 times at Pro events. After Malibu 2002, the Golden

Goose may be cooked as far as jumping. In the Back When, the insurance premium for

a WR, was about 1/4 to 1/3 of the payout.

• Baller

@LeonL - @klindy That estimated budget would cover a nice payout for the competitors. Oregon has a HUGE water oriented market and is packed with companies that like to support anything out of the box. Combine that with a watersports/boat dealer who is an old school skier makes me think it's not too far fetched.

Hats off to those who actually pull of a pro tour theses days, I've always admired their efforts!!