The new HO hardshell

Kdinger838

I got a chance to see these at MDCE in Orlando last week. From what the rep says

They have the same exact release system as the reflex ( they paid) except it has a different boot and liner that in my eyes seemed to be quite a bit nicer. The boots will be sized in twos (6-7,8-9 etc) and rff or lff specific. Another stand out point, the base is 3-d printed so you lock into the same spot on the ski everytime. You can get it on a plate or direct mount it to the VTX. The only thing I didn't see is the Achilles strap, which I asked our rep and he's going to ask Dave W. (not sure if it's a huge deal only heard of a few Achilles tears) will Asher is already on it with the vtx.I'm currently still running double goodes but I think I'm going to see if the hardshell toe plate will help me get more weight forward in the turns. Any one else make the switch from doubles to a rtp

• Baller

Hey folks,

Only correction I would make is the boots are available plated. We are not producing it in a Direct Connect version at this time.

Our shell does not have an Achilles strap because the back of our lower shell has tabs which prevent excessive forward flexion similar to the all black reflex shell. Our liner is also thicker and more supportive (and heat moldable) which also adds some resistance to excess flex.

Available in four sizes:

6/7, 8/9, 10/11, 12/13

Hope this helps. Let me know if there are any more questions!

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller

@Kdinger838 I think you can improve your ability to move your COM forward with a switch from double hardshells. This past spring I switched from double hardshells after thirty years. I went to a releasable front with rtp, but could not manage that switch. I then tried a Radar HRT, which worked reasonably well. Then I tried a half hardshell boot and have been on that ever since. The half hardshell allows more freedom of movement and less adverse input from your rear leg in an offside turn. Staying with the same boot also helps make the change easier.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

I fully tore my right Achilles (front) one year ago. 2 months into rehab I tripped and fully tore it a second time in the same spot. I then had an infection on it requiring yet another surgery. I'm about ready to hop back on the ski and have dumped my double vectors for the new HO Hard-shell and giving the Reflex RType a go. To be clear, the vectors weren't the issue, it was how tight I always lace up. I don't think I could ski if I had to really loosen that type of binding off and why I've made the change. Moving to the RType half shell back will be a big adjustment as well, but now is the time because I've been of the ski for so long I think.

I have a few questions about this boot with regards to my injury and looking for any advice:

1) the inner plastic tabs I'm not sure how much pressure they transfer to the heal on forward flexion? With the boot off I am able to easily fold the boot forward all the way, which you could not do with a strap on reflex. I would assume when my foot is in the boot it would transfer more to the heal causing it to release. Any thoughts?

2) I'm 6'2 and 225 lbs at the moment. I'm often around 210-215 when I am skiing lots. The recommended tension I've been told by experienced skiers for me would be around 6. On this setting, there is no chance i can release on dry land test. I am probably not yanking it as hard as I would if I didn't have the injury, but just makes me nervous. My neighbor who is on reflex compared his setting to mine to help me set it up and we settled in on about a 4. His Reflex is much looser and easier to click on than mine but he couldn't pull out of his on dry land, but releases from it on the water. Would anyone recommend running it lighter do to injury? Of course pre-release is my concern. I'm battling 28 off at 34 mph only. When I get back out there, I'll be taking it real slow and easy for awhile.

3) Really thinking the Achilles strap is a great thing on the reflex, I'm considering trying to add this to my HO Hard-shell. Any thoughts on having this additional protection or issues with modifying the HO Hard-shell? Was hoping to order replacements from Reflex for this, but I do not see this part available. Seems like it could be duplicated pretty easy though if there is no way to order that part.

I know it's a personal preference topic, but would still love any input.

Thanks

• Baller

Did anyone made alignment on HO/Edge/Reflex hardshell (similar to canting which we make with alpine ski boots)?

My front leg is broken years ago and since then knee is a little outwards, thus making outside edge of the ski more loaded than the inside one.

On semi-soft boots I do canting relatively easy: loose screws which hold boot to plate, put rubber wedge along the inside half of boot sole and tighten again, turns became more symmetrical and water start becomes as easy as 2x2.

Yesterday tried new HO hardshell: very nice binding, really good even for recreational skier like me.

Although I am experiencing same difficulties as I do with every boot before individual adjustment.

"Brainstorm" is needed. Does anyone have idea how to make HO hardshell boot to lean outwards for few degrees?

Thanks )))

• Baller

@jayski Thanks. This exactly what I am thinking about: wedge on one side and some stuff under the middle of the plate in order to avoid plate bent. Also because any boot movement will change release unis settings.

But before I'll made "field testing" - will put some thick/stiff neoprene elements between liner and plastic shell. It produces same effect as canting: loads ski edge on this side (old forgotten trick of (alpine) ski coaches). If experiment will show necessity of canting will adjust plate.

• Baller

Brief update. Placed 7mm gasket (made of thin training mat) between liner cuff and hard shell. It did work.

Now thinking how to turn this temporary remedy into the permanent solution.

One of ideas is to change liner to Vapor - it has side pockets which could be used for spacers.

May be this info will be helpful for those who have troubles with lateral ankle angles.

• Baller

Thanks, good idea! Though I am not sure which glue could be used to stand long both in salty and fresh water.

Shell plastic does not look "glue friendly"

I also thinking to glue velcro to shell and gasket to make it removable/adjustable.

• Baller_
I see a lot of bondo used on Reflex binders and I suspect that bondo may serve your purpose on the HO. Make your wedge on the underside of the plate and then mount it on your ski once it hardens.

Lpskier