When is it time to start at -28

cragginshred

• Baller

I can make -22 back to back off the dock always and make generally run 2 -28's in the same set. I have not tried -32 yet and do have a -30 loop in my 'progressor line' rope. I really would like to be done with the -22 loop but with -28 being my hardest line length currently with a lot of improvement needed there I am not sure that is the best idea

What made you opt to forgo the -22 loop?

• Administrators

15 and 22 really are awkward line lengths.

My hardest pass is my third pass but in practice but I usually run opener twice. In tournaments I drop back one more pass so my hardest pass is my fourth. That way I eliminate that odd (too easy) first pass in practice but do not find myself at my hard pass too soon in tournaments.

• Baller_

When you can run 90% of your 35s you are ready to start at 28. I like to say you should be able to run your first 2 passes in whitecaps. Your hardest pass should normally be your 4th or 5th pass.

Yeah, 22 sucks, but so does 15 and slower speeds. Your goal should be to build good habits through lots of repetition. If your first pass is ugly and you struggle with your second pass, and rarely get a start on your 3rd, do you think you are building good habits that will help you progress?

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
what nobody has mentioned is when you ski behind a boat with a massive 22 off wake and you have bad knees its better to start at 28 and lower the speed. every body says your 4th pass should be your ' wanna make ' pass but i'm pretty sure thats not an actual requirement.

• Baller
-22 is fun at 36mph. But I've dropped it at this point because it is so much more rope than my -32 and -35 that it feels awkward. I found late season that I felt like I was in a better frame of mind for my set when I opened at -28. -22 was my opener for a long time though and worked well up until late this season.

• Baller
I totally agree, if you're dropping 22 you want 3-4 passes in a set before falling consistently. Id like to give up 22 as well but I treat it as a warm up pass. On my 2nd set of the day I'll go out at 28 if I've been running them and 32 smooth. It's important to run as many buoy's as you can each set, and to also challenge yourself. I see so many guys bang their head against the wall getting all 6 maybe once in a set. That's not a recipe for success either, regardless of how "different" 22 can be, you can still work on body position, which is the most important thing you should be working on now anyways.

• Baller

Also depends if you are a tournament skier or not. If yes, you are more likely to keep 22 or do as Adam says and run a slow 28 instead.

I hated 22 and dropped it as soon as I was running some of my 35s. I kept 28 until I rarely missed 38. When I am skiing well and running most of my 39s I have zero temptation to drop 32. I have talked to Nate and he had zero intention of dropping 32 even though he rarely misses 41. So I think it also depends where are with your skiing as far as the whole 3rd, 4th or 5th pass logic goes.

• Baller
I can see why 34 mph skiers wouldn't be in love with -22, I've backed down a couple of times and compared to 36 I feel like I'm sinking around the ball. Add the 34 wake rather than the non-existent 36 wake and I think I'd be saying "screw this". At 36 I found that focusing extra hard on controlling my handle made -22 really fun, I'd have two hands on at buoy width and be what felt like 30+ ft ahead of the ball. Highly entertaining as an opener.

• Baller
I dropped 22 this year for the first time mid season. I was running a lot of 35's but was usually sucking wind pretty good once I got there, I pretty much always run 2 passes at each line so my 35's were my 7th and 8th pass. Once I started going out at 28 I started making almost all my 35's,

• Baller
I dropped 22 this season too. 28 at 32 mph is much better for the opener in my opinion. I'm way more confident in not making at 28 off 32 mph verses 22 and it feels like a better warm up. I would often ski 22 off bad but still run it.