ski hooks

dhofert

Hey, I'm looking for some opinions. Last year we hooked the rope with a clip to one of the Rings on the hull. I just purchased a new masterline rope and Handle and was wondering if a center mounted ski hook would be a good idea or if we should stay with a clip and put another ring in the center of the hull. Just some rec skiing open water, 19ft four winns.

Basically is the clip or ski hook going to be better for my rope? Sadly I can't talk the boat owner into a pole...yet.

Are there any better options?

Thanks for the help.

• Baller
If it's an outboard/IO I'd use the cable type with the pully mounted rope. I used that on my outboard when i started. Of coarse the rope lengths will be all wonky since they are measured from the pylon position rather than 1-2 feet behind the transom. Still better than a single attachment point on one side of the hull or other.

• Baller
do a google search for ' pro ski pylon ' and ' pro deck pylon '. both are removable and leave just a small floor plate that is flush mounted as evidence. get one and install it at night when the boat owner is asleep. then if he asks about it just feign innocence until he tries it and likes it. every body's boat driving and skiing will improve and life will be good.

• Baller
If anyone is going to be slalom skiing the bridal type tow harness is no good. Skier pulls outside of the wake, pulley on the harness follows. Skier tries to turn in and hook back up to the boat and pull, harness pulley slips more under the load. I remember trying to ski behing a bass boat with one of these about 20 years ago. No connection to the boat when you are trying to pull. Probably OK for joy riding around the lake though.

Bill that is more what I was talking about. Mounting one of these in the center above the swim platform. I'm still bugging him to put in a pylon as much as possible. I'm hoping by helping pay for the thru hull exhaust I will have a bit more say in what we need.

Hey guys before I purchased a tourney boat I had a Larson and we purchased a barefoot international delron pro ski swivel. It mounts in the original tow hook holes it works awesome and will put no wear on your rope. I was also able to shorten the line with out any problem. Sorry Im not more computer savvy but just do a google search looks like wholesalemarine.com still has them for around $60 as they were discontinued. hope this helps

^^^ this is exactly what I had in mind origionally. Well similar in my head anyways. Didn't know they actually made something like this. Think this is the route I'm going to go, unless of course I sneak a pylon on the boat when the owner is asleep. Lol. Thanks again guys this place rocks!

• Baller
bear in mind that putting the ' pull point ' behind or nearly behind the propeller will still allow the boat to be pulled around by the skier. a rear hook like the one pictured above is fine for pulling a tow-able water toy but will not do a good job of resisting the sideways force of a skier loading the rope when he is out at the finish of a turn.