Manon Costard – Looks like 2017 could be a great year

John Brooks

• Baller

I was reading the thread about what people were expecting in 2017 (although I think the thread is labeled 2016) and noticed a post by @bkreis talking about Manon. It made me think about a June 2016 tournament at Little Mountain Ski Club, just outside Charlotte NC in Maiden, where Manon ran -39 twice over the weekend and one of the rounds her record was approved by the European & African Federation, ½@-41.

I have been lucky enough to see Manon and Freddie come to Little Mountain several times and continue to be impressed by both. Manon’s skiing seems to improve every time I see her and I am also excited to see what her skiing will bring in the coming years. She makes the passes seem very smooth and easy, maybe I need some lessons from her.

Here is her -39 pass along with the accompanying boat path video. Boy she can ski.

https://youtu.be/9_BfoDohqko

https://youtu.be/PObzSmOQiKg

• Baller_

How many women have run 39 now?

When I watch her ski, all I see is GUT. Using the swing of the boat from hook up to centerline, working with the handle path, COM forward, long gate glides, shoulders all perfect, the timing with the boat...on and on... It looks easy. And the line lengths from 28-38 do not look all that different. There is a lot there to worry about for Ragina and Whitney.

• Administrators
the word came out that @FWinter is going to be coaching the the Boarding School this year. I wonder of Manon will be there too. Rumor is she coaches as well as she skis.

• Baller
@FWinter I can't believe that the AWSA didn't approve that record run. What a shame that politics and petty jealousies would rob her of a legitimate record performance. Not to worry though, I believe that she will perform at an even higher level in the near future.

• Administrators

@jcamp I believe that Brooke Baldwin is likely the the next big thing in women's skiing but you are sort of fast and loose with the facts.

Brooke is

# 15 on the Elite List

# 4 on the standard list

# 3 on the new experimental Dynamic list

She is not on the BallOfSpray list because she only skied on one Pro level event.

• Baller_
I would never count out Brooke and have said she will climb rungs up @Hortons ranking list. Two very efficient skiers. I'll even give the efficiency nod to Brooke. The top 2 need to be worried a bit. More so now then 2-3 yrs ago.

• Baller
@Horton Whether the experimental list is officially recognized as THE list or not, it's the most updated list there is. Should we not consider someone's top score just because it took place after the IWWF rankings were compiled? If we are talking about challengers to the top 2, Brooke should be in the conversation along with Manon. Both are fantastic skiers.