kindoitall

• Baller

Hey Ballers, I'm the current president of the Purdue Water Ski Team and I'm trying to make a lake work that I just found in the Lafayette area. We have a very nice site that we currently use with a boat, but we are limited by use and distance since it is nearly an hour each way from campus. The lake I found is at the Subaru factory in Lafayette, so it similar to some of the lakes I have seen that are at FedEx facilities, etc. Does anyone have any advice on how to get them to lease out their lake? I reached out to the facility and was given the cold shoulder and told that it was just for use by the employees. Any help would be much appreciated!

Clay

• Baller

@kindoitall that's too bad you guys can't use the site near campus anymore! It took a lot of work to secure that place when I was there.

As someone who spends a LOT of time in car factories for my day job (including that Subaru plant), I can tell you it's not likely to happen. Car plants have entire divisions of very high strung people whose entire jobs are to come up with ways to mitigate risk. Most factories have rules like no walking with your hands in your pockets on the property, no walking while talking on a cell phone, etc. Convincing them to let a bunch of college students onto their property, let alone onto their lake to do a "dangerous" sport, will be tough. Not to say it's impossible, but I'd be amazed if they let you.

I'm not sure if you know about the old site that we used to use before we got the one near campus. It's shallow, it's dirty, and there's no wind protection, but it's less than 20 minutes from campus and there's a surveyed course in there somewhere if you can find it. It might be worth checking out and talking to the owner to see if you can use it.

You can see it HERE.