2015 Prostar Prop Removal

Texas6

• Baller
I dinged my prop on my boat cradle and was going to remove it and have it reconditioned this off season. I've tried 2 different prop pullers, and each one of them (ACME 3&4 blade pullers), and both were too short by about a half an inch? I don't know if the prop just pushed up further on the shaft than it should have, but I'm curious if any of you have run into this, and if so, what's the fix? Thanks in advance

• Baller
@Texas6 doe the puller have a little cup on the end that goes on the shaft? Mine has a little cup the screws on to the all thread of the puller. I actually have to take the little cup off and just use the flat end of the all thread. It give it just enough clearance.

• Baller
@skibug - yes it did have the cup and screw on the end but screwed all the way out it still wouldn't give us enough room to get the right fit. I went ahead and ordered the harmonic puller just to see if I can get I done that way. If not I'll go to a rigged C-Clamp and make it work:)

• Baller
He is saying that it doesn't fit. As for not needing to smack it, maybe but read the directions. The c clamp is not intended to do more than apply slight pressure, seen a couple bent ones from people who cranked them hard. If it takes more than a couple good smacks then heating the prop hub a bit with a propane torch can help - then smack it again.

• Baller_
@Texas6: You might try to heat up the prop when removing, should help. Also, you note the prop must be farther up the shaft, what is the element that stops the prop on the shaft? I assume it is the splined style prop, not sure if a taper is part of the design but if yes, and the prop is farther up on the shaft then the hub is probably cracked thus requiring a replacement.

• Baller
I was thinking the new Prostars were splined shafts. Shouldn't be that hard to get off if it is. Little heat around the hub it may come off pretty easily. My guess is the Puller you have is not the correct puller for the application.