Woodies

A_B

• Baller
@epyscs This will be my 1st attempt at a ski, but I have done some wood working. As I won't be getting it wet I'm not concerned with using anything marine grade. I'm just going to try off the shelf stain and finish. As with other wood working/refinishing, I guess it just goes to how deep you need to sand to get to good wood after stripping finish and possible bleaching the wood if discoloration from water penetration etc. Steel wool did a pretty good job on the aluminum fin and around bindings.

• Administrators

@"Mateo Vargas" I do not think I like the way you phrased that.

@Dirt "claims" that in college I C-blocked him a number of times. That is his excuse....

• Baller
Thanks @skibrain I have never skied the Wake special I found it several years ago and just thought it was unique and loved the woodwork details. I did find it funny that Pat Connelly was giving oversized sticks a try from the early days, I'm sure it was helpful in rough water, the thing is heavy!

• Baller
@jjackkrash , yeah, grew up originally in west Tacoma/UP and would boat from Narrows/Day Island marinas over to Wollochet and Horsehead (ski off the spit there back in the day. Step starts of the beach with the wood hook, and later Connelly shortlines), or over at a buddy's summer place on the south side of Fox Island looking at McNeil. Sometimes we might ski behind Tanglewood Island. Particularly when I was with one friend whose grandparents lived by the Fox Island bridge. We did that before we all were licensed to drive a car. Then later, my folks bought a place in Horsehead, across from the spit looking out, and we never looked back. Mom finally sold the place a little over a year ago. So, I guess that should no longer be on my profile. She lives in Gig Harbor now, and we take her newer glastron up to Quartermaster Harbor at Vashon, or otherwise ski at our annual family get together out in Dabob bay area, and by Seabeck, at Hood Canal where we have that reunion each year. Fun stuff! I love skiing where I do now, but I always have fun back on that puget sound salt water.

• Baller
Close to my story as well except the islands we skied to and around were Blake, Vashon and Maury and the beach at Three Tree Point. Rinsed a lot of salt water off of our gear and out of our outboards over the years. We even ran a '41 Chris Craft with a 283 Corvette motor in the salt water. That was cool. Had slalom courses at Three Tree and Seahurst beach. Fun being a kid!

• Baller_
sorry to necro an old thread, but had a customer call today trying to sell a Wally burr ski, and he mentioned he revolutionized water skiing more than anyone else. I am not familiar with the name, but mabye a baller can give me cliff notes on that / what it was he did that revolutionized water skiing so much

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾