Are you looking for a place to ski in Southern California? Come ski at Great Lakes!

Horton

• Administrators

Can't find good water and buoys in Southern California? Great Lakes is the solution. The lakes skis awesome, the air is clean and the scenery in Newberry unlike any other.

You can get one ride at a time or stay there and ski for days. Boats and drivers are included.

Check it out at http://www.skithegreat.com/

http://www.skithegreat.com/uploads/3/4/3/8/34380883/editor/img-3730.jpg?1484663728

• Baller

Great Lakes was my first experience with private water, and the experience was instrumental in motivating my friends and I to eventually build our own lake. Back in the late '90's, when the ski area in Telluride closed in early April, we would pack up the motor homes and head out to Great Lakes where we rented the 2nd lake for a week for a very reasonable rate. Even though the springtime wind could be howling, the water was always flat.

We did that for several years, got some informal coaching from Rob, and even brought in Big G (Gordon Epling) in to coach 1 year. Great memories!

• Administrators
@Colebrah we need to just go out there soon. You tell the boss you don't feel good and I will tell the wife it is business related. No one will miss us.

• Administrators

Horton lakes x 2 (second lake is questionable at best)

Wet Set x 1

Great Lakes x 2

Silver Dunes x1

Sundown x 2

Cheyanne x 1

• Baller

My site in Nor Cal is supposed to open march 1st and has sink holes in the levees among other weather related damages. Owners say be patient while we wait for delays -maybe a ski/climb road trip to So Cal? Wait they had worse flooding than us Fri, but likely no flooding in Bartow eh?

• Administrators
Newberry (Barstow) and Bako did not have any Lake damage because of flooding. I'm worried about my shorelines but whatever

• Baller

Now considering a socal trip in April and being able to ski in the region has increased the likelihood immensely.

Anywhere we should look to stay within an hour or so? fun, cool, not LA...

Want to visit Joshua Tree park, and add some adventure to our trip. Hiking, mountain biking, etc.

Any other cool things to see and do in the general vicinity (within a few hours)?

Would probably take a few ski rides, go travel for a few days, come back to ski a few sets, travel a few days, ski a few sets...

• Administrators
I do not know if they are still doing their thing out there. Shoot me an email and I will forward it to them.

• Baller

@Horton I didn,t read the whole thread, you put a link out there saying check it out, trusting your judgement thought I would have a looky seeing that I visit California to see my daugther on a regular basis, I can read but when there is a link I tend to look at the info before reading further.

Probably would have been more useful if you could have confirmed what the status is out there seeing that you promoted it in the first place.

Yep I missed your last post, So if you think it,s worth a Panda, I,m past caring.

• Administrators
@Stevie Boy I was a bit humor impaired at midnight last night. Please excuse my grumpiness.

• Baller

Quite an area, in the middle of the high desert. I was at Horton Lake in February 1974 doing some ski testing. During that time, I worked with Dr. Jack to convert his slalom course to metric dimensions. Probably one of the first sites to do the changeover. As the new anchors went in, starting from one end, the differences grew, until the metric course ended up a little over 5 feet shorter.