AWSA - Different levels to sign up for newb. Please explain.

sunvalleylaw

• Baller

I have never been an AWSA member. I am thinking about joining, and considering my first tournament. I recently bought a comp boat (well, an old one that would not be allowed to pull in a sanctioned tournament), and received a high end ski. (as noted in the other AWSA thread. I would like to know more about membership. The levels that one can sign up for, the basic benefits, how it works basically, etc. I notice the other thread looking for ways to drum up more membership, but I cannot post there right now. So, posting here. Can someone summarize for me here? I have gone to the site, but it is all a bit confusing to me. So, summarize for the considerations of a middle aged newb to actual tournaments? My involvement would likely be where nationals were held last year. Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I am quoting @Horton from the other thread. I hope that is not against the rules, but I really would love an answer to the question. He said there, "The big one.... do a better job of explaining to the current and future members why they need to belong. If skiers only join so they can ski sanctioned events and get their name listed on the rankings list that is a hard sell." That second sentence and the insurance is really the only benefit I see from perusing the member benefits page, other than the magazine, which seems not to be a big deal to anyone. So, please help me here.

• Baller

For example, it looks like for the events around me, it might be best just to sign up for the grassroots for $35. But maybe I am missing something. As a newb who will only ski slalom, and maybe attend some skills clinics if one is near, what else would I miss by not going full boat? So to speak.

EDIT: Well, one thing, I guess I would miss out on secondary insurance, and not get to enter sanctioned events.

• Baller
You can be a supporting member, but I see no use in that as you can't ski tournaments. A GR membership will only get you in a tournament that offers GR level skiing. An active membership covers all situations. I've never been anything but a regular active member. That tells you very little however. The insurance is nothing that I even think about. I have adequate medical coverage on my own.

• Baller_

For me, tournament skiing is largely about weekends at great places to water ski, hanging out with like minded people and having a lot of fun. Broadside Harbor, a couple hours from you and referenced in your first post would be a case in point.

You can ski Grass Roots, F (fun), Class C, or ELR. Grass Roots and F are for non-tournament skiers to be introduced to tournaments in a relaxed format. Rules are more flexible. "Mulligans" are available. Most everyone is new so a "newbe" isn't alone. The purpose is to have a positive experience.

Outside of Florida, Class C is your typical tournament. The rules are enforced more strictly. More officials are needed. The vast majority of the skiers have skied a tournament before. There will likely be some very good skiers, and some that are less good. Class C is where most skiers ski most tournaments, except in Florida.

ELR. These are tournaments at which national or world records may be set. Florida, with a denser population of really good skiers, prefers the ELR format but the rest of the country saves them for special occasions as they are much more complicated to run and entry fees are higher. Ignore them for now.

Often, tournaments will include more than one class. Don't be put off by mixed class tournaments. Mixed class tournaments can get you into the Florida ski scene if you are so inclined. You will meet the best skiers in your area (and beyond) at these types of events.

You will be grouped by age.

At worst, you will meet a bunch of folks, most of whom you will like. You may get invited to their sites to ski and you might invite some of them to yours. Your networking may get you to a clinic at some nearby site with a traveling pro skier, or you might decide to host one yourself and you can invite your new (and old) friends. Your skiing will improve. Given your location, you may get to visit summer friends on the hill in the winter. Overall, you will open your eyes to a hole new aspect of a sport you love.

Lpskier

• Baller
@sunvalleylaw thanks for posting this thread. It may be helpful for decision makers to get thoughts and feedback from non-current USAWS members - former and never members as they cannot post in some of the other related threads. Why should one join other than to ski in tournaments? How are the membership fees used? How does membership help advance the sport athletically, socially, and from a marketing perspective?

• Baller

As someone who used to be a USA Waterski member and skied tournaments then took a 10 year break and recently rejoined this past year here are my 2 cents on what it offers.

The tournament parts of it can be fun, even if you are new to ski the grass roots, F, and even C tournaments. Don't be scared by a C tournament, go down to the dock and tell the people you are new. Most are incredibly willing to take you under their wing. My advice is ask if you can help. You will certainly be made a dock starter and meet lots of new people.

The majority of my use for USA waterski came outside of tournaments though. We used to put on a learn to ski clinic in association with a local dealer every week. This allowed us to have a trainer driver, safety coordinator and the $5 one day memberships to limit our insurance liabilities. The $5 one day memberships were a great way to get people hooked.

Now that I rejoined I did it because I moved away and no longer have access to a good slalom course. I found a group of guys who want to invest the time and money to put a permanent course in public water with me. We just started a club so that we can limit our liability by taking out extra insurance. USA Waterski offers this type of insurance and that rates are not too bad. In addition we are getting trained drivers and safety coordinators so that we can sanction our practices and have the secondary insurance. I know a lot of people dismiss that but I had a jump crash that landed me in the hospital some years ago and the secondary insurance was great to work with and I never paid a dime for all of my recovery.

I do wish USA Waterski had some better resources for applying for slalom course permits. This has been the hardest part of the entire process. A state by state database of what permits are required and maybe a template for those would go a long way in getting more slalom courses and thus more people in the organization.

• Baller

@ALPJr lists some more specific questions I would like answered. Also, if there are water access, and/or other advocacy/lobbying efforts regarding watercraft laws, etc. that affect us skiers provided, that might be another reason to be a member. Can anyone elaborate if there are such efforts, for the benefit of both competitive and noncompetitive skiers?

@Texas6 posted a really good idea I think in the other "need members" thread. Give a person who has never been a member a one year free trial, I think it was said if they buy a high end ski. Maybe a boat too? I would hop on that. But $80 to try a tournament that I also have to pay for is a bit of a choke down if that is all membership really gets you. I was ready to throw down now, but after considering, am thinking maybe I should wait until closer to the tournaments close to me so I can make sure the schedule works and I don't waste $80 that could go toward something for the boat or for my family skiing.