Flordia trip in April

LZywicki1

• Baller
With all of this discussion about change, a change sounds good. Like a Florida ski trip in April. Planning on starting south for a few days. Then take our time and do some site seeing, (possibly get a site in too), on our way up to Travers. Never been down in southern part of the state, were not sure about which coast to go up?

Larry -----<|

• Baller

There's a lot to like about the Gulf Coast these days, but from Naples to St Petersburg, there's really only one ski site (Eden; or drive well east of Tampa to McCormick's... correct me if I'm wrong).

For comparison, from Miami to West Palm, there are 2-3 pay-to-ski sites (McGinnis, Chet's) plus a few clubs (Miami, Okeeheelee) where it wouldn't be hard to get some rides if you make some connections on this site.

On the other hand, if you like road trips, you could start in West Palm, head down and across Alligator Alley, and up the Gulf Coast.

• Baller

Stay in Orlando where you can ski to your hearts delight. From there is is only a 2 hour drive to either coast. Canaveral national Seashore and Cocoa Beach to the east and Honeymoon State Park to the west. My favorite part of Disney was when I wasn't in Disney: skiing with Lucky, Rini, Brooks and the days we'd head to the coast (both ways).

+1 on what anjules said. Southwest there was nothing until Eden opened. Probably more skiing in the Southeast.

• Baller

There is Central Florida where either coast is not far away. On the East coast, I think that

a lot of you would enjoy visiting the space port at Canaveral. Here at McCormicks, near

the West coast, things will be heating up. Record tournament at the end of April. Also,

that weekend has the Hall of Fame ceremonies at Disney's Epcot. Something that every

skier must attend at least once. From way back when, 50+ years ago, the Florida Spring

trip was always a special time. From when we were a bunch of fraternity house drunks,

to when I went to Joe Cash's ski school in Sarasota.

• Baller

@Edbrazil The last 2 years we attended the Friday social at the Hall of Fame, never made to the dinner on Saturday, alwys flying home Saturday. Not sure on the week, if its the last where there.

Beem tring to plan a trip when there is a launch, been to the center and it's fantastic. We normally fly in and out of Tampa and thought about McMormick too.

The coast trip is more for my wife, but a really can't complain, I'm in Florida skiing.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
For the driving part of trip, run both coasts if you have time. Orlando to Canaveral to Miami, then alligator alley to Naples and on up that side. Plenty to see and do if you are just driving, stopping for an hour or so at each location - except Kennedy which takes an entire day.

• Baller
Well we ended up not going up either coast this year. Instesd it's sking and site seeing around Orlando and then meeting some friends at Travers. I see that there a number of events 4/20-23/17 around the area, does this affect and schools in the area.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
Speaking of Orlando...has anyone skied at Duvall's at Disney? We'll be in the area for a few days in April and thought being right at Disney might be handy for the family. I assume the coaching is very good but having not been on the water since October, convenience and a little time on the water to get a jump on the Vermont season is more important to us than quality of coaching and buoys. Thanks!

• Baller

Atlantic coast is dirty and ski sites seem to be split 50/50. Plus if you go on the Gulf you can swing east and ski majority of Orlandos sites without actually having to drive through Orlando. Gulf coast IS Florida.

@bbruzzese I contacted and emailed Duvalls about a month ago to inquire about skiing. No return calls or emails. Plus I don't see a course there but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

• Baller_
Duvall's at Disney is not like ski school. It's more like family activity skiing. If you want to ski, there are several sites near Disney that are probably more in line with your skiing expectations, such as Drew Ross, TGas, Jody Fisher, Matt Rini, Wade Cox at OWC, Lucky Lowe's and LaPoints. All of these sites are within 20 minutes of the Disney property. I'm sure any of the sites would enjoy having you, but for sure we'd be happy to host you at LaPoints, where you can either take lessons ($60) or ski rides ($30), or both.

Lpskier

• Baller

Also note Jack Travers' ITS in Okahumpka is not far away. Jack is another former New

Hampshire guy.

Here at McCormicks, in Seffner, it is more like 45 minutes away. But, along with the boat

skiing, there is cable skiing. And, a tournament over the last weekend of April. (Same as

the Hall of Fame weekend).

• Baller
@lpskier throws out some good ideas. I would love to hit up some of those. LaPoints sounds awesome. I would want to spend a couple/few days there with multiple coached passes over a few days. Also, though it is not lessons, I would enjoy checking out Duvall's also. So, does that make it a vote for central??

• Baller
Great thread. I was thinking of doing a quick trip to FLA next month as well to kick start the season. Usually go to Rinis but the family wants to do Gulf coast trip. So just to confirm no real skiing between Eden and McCormicks? I seem to remember something around Sarasota??? We have a access to a friends condo in that area.

• Baller
@skihart Nothing in Sarasota. The Ski-A-Rees show team is there (great show, BTW, I was very impressed with their skiing on tough conditions) and there used to be a private club east of the highway, but I heard they lost the lease on that site a couple years ago.

• Baller

After a great week of skiing in Florida with warm water and sun, it's back to MI with cold water, rain and dry suits. One of the highlights was to ski LaPoint's Ski Park with both @lpskier and Jennifer. All I can say is if you're in the Orlando area and don't go there, its your loss.

@lpskier Thanks again.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
A big thanks to @lpskier from me as well, spent last week in Orlando with my son and John as always being a great host @ Lapoint ski park. Super great setup Kris and the crew has going on there.