Tournament Skiing for Dummies (or "Wallies")

Pocomoke_Skier

• Baller

Hi,

I have been skiing pretty much my whole life (which isn't that long considering I'm 24) but only recreationally on public water. About a year ago I purchased an old early 90s Prostar 190 and had the chance to ski a course. Needless to say I was immediately hooked. I have been following this site for numerous years for advice on skiing technique/gear and have recently noticed an increase in discussion about changes to tournament skiing and the organizations that govern it. The idea of tournament skiing is something that has always interested me and these discussions have got me thinking. Now that I have the basic equipment to take my skiing to the next level, what do I have to do next to get involved in tournament skiing?

After spending some time on AWSAs website, I realized I still have no idea (as an outsider) on how to get involved. I understand basic rules of tournament skiing but the entry/ranking system has me confused. Can someone please explain the basics of the rankings/divisions and advancement system? Also, what organizations do I have to join and what tournaments would I be qualified to participate in as a newbie? OR if there is some webpage or previous post that simply explains this, please post a link.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you!

• Administrators

@Pocomoke_Skier this is an AWESOME question!

All you need to do is join USAWS. You can ski in almost any event. Besides Regionals and Nationals there are VERY few events with that you need to qualified for.

You are in the Bay Area? There are a lot of skiers and events up there. What you need is a personal Ambassador to show you the ropes. There are a LOT of Ballers up there.

@"Mateo Vargas" is a total whack job but he runs events at Berkeley Aquatic Park. I nominate him as your Ambassador.

• Baller
Thanks @JeffSurdej and @Horton . I'm originally from the bay area of the east (chesapeake) but now live in New Hope, PA. I ski with a group called the Port Indian Ski Club on the Schuykill River (just outside of Philadelphia). Nothing close to a traditional ski club but doing more than their fair share of promoting the sport

• Administrators
@Pocomoke_Skier My mistake. I thought your were in San Francisco. @"Mateo Vargas" is no very close to you but I bet the guys at Berkeley would like to ship him off to you.

• Baller

That's number of rounds and Class C. GR is Grass Roots.

I guess I should step up here and be an ambassador.... I ski less than an hour and a half away from New Hope. We don't hold tournaments, but we have a course and would be happy to have you visit when it warms up!

• Baller

One more thing... I can provide you with a course at Port Indian if you get a permit. I had told @jerseydave here last year we could provide one, but never had further contact with him. I PM'd him here last month to make the offer again but didn't hear back... I don't know if he's still involved with the club.

I talked to Bill Baker at our winter meeting and he told me that when they last had a course, they had given up on a full floating course because of the current. They were using a mainline for the gates and boat guides and had dropped anchors for the skier balls, which are likely still in place.

• Baller
Thanks @dchristman ! I have skied with @jerseydave and he is always down at Port Indian. He is actually a board member of Port Indian Ski Club (PISC) (as am I). It is my understanding that we'll have the course re-installed this summer. There seems to be a resurgence in slalom skiing and a few people that are willing to care for the course. If not, I'll probably invest in a portable course to share with whoever is interested. Summer can't come soon enough

• Baller

Get a USA waterski/AWSA membership and sign up. Go to multi-round tourneys...if you go to one round tourneys and nerves get you...you go down early you are done. Multi-rounders you have more chances and more fun.

As for ranking lists...don't sweat it for now but here's how it works:

Your best round from any tourney is your score to contribute to rankings--so a 3 round tourney your best round score counts...the other two rounds do not. In a one rounder...the one round is your score from that tourney.

The rankings are based on your tourney average score. If you have at least 3 tourneys this score is not penalized. If you have less than 3 your average is reduced by a % until you hit 3 at a minimum. At that point ski as many as you want...your top 3 tourney scores are averaged to count toward your ranking score.

Go to a tourney with someone you know, or let the tourney director know it's your first time and you want to meet people and be involved. Watch how ropes/handles are changed at the starting dock and when you have it figured out jump in to help...great way to meet people and contribute.

If I'm at the same tourney, provide me with cold beer. Just kidding...well ok not so much.

• Baller

Grass roots is certainly the best introduction for a beginner as the rules typically allow mulligans and give skiers a minimum number of passes. However, if GR tournaments aren't available in your area, don't be intimidated from starting with Class C by following the advice above.

• Baller

@JeffSurdej the USAWS/AWSA website need a clearly identifiable link "So, you want to get involved - Here's how" - combined with Horton's ambassador program.

As our tournament director, when I see new names on the list of entries, I make it a point to introduce myself and make the new guys feel welcome.

• Baller_
"3S" means that you get three different slalom rides. "2T" or "2J" would mean two rides ("rounds") in trick or jump respectively. "C" is your typical type tournament. "C" tournaments are often combined with "F" (Fun) or "GR" (grass roots) tournaments, meaning you can choose how you wish to be judged and scored. F and GR tournaments are geared towards people new to tournaments and employ more user friendly formats, like a mulligan. They are all a lot of fun.

Lpskier

• Baller

@Pocomoke_Skier As a recent novice to this type of competition (my kids now compete after we made the transition from Show Ski), my advice to you is (a) go ski a tournament, and (b) don't get too wrapped up in finding a 'F' or 'GR' tournament. In my neck-of-the-woods, most tournaments are 'C' and move up from there 'E', 'L', 'R'. Very few 'F' or 'GR' tournaments and not worth getting too anxious that you are registered in a 'C' tournament.

After training on our local semi-public lake, we headed to a local tournament. Quite frankly, the lingo was more confusing than the tournament and what we needed to do.

So here's where to start. When you search for tournaments on the www.usawaterski.org, you'll see a line something like this: "6 Pulls PandC, Slalom 2C , Trick 2C , Jump 2C Extra Pulls Available 2S 2T 2J". The means you can sign up for a maximum of 6 pulls (PandC = pick and choose), with a maximum of 2 Slalom runs with the 'C' scoring rules, maximum of 2 Trick runs with the 'C' scoring rules, and a maximum of 2 jump sets (3 jump attempts each set) with the 'C' scoring rules to count for your overall score. If you didn't sign up for all 6 of these (to get an overall 3-event score), you can add up to 2 slalom, 2 trick or 2 jump. Most you can do in this tournament is 6 pulls. But that could be 2 + 2 = 4 slalom runs. From a skiers perspective, there's really no difference in a 'C' or 'R' run. It is simply the number of judges that need to judge/score the event; e.g. you cannot set a new International world record in a 'C' tournament. So what.

As a slalom skier, you'll start at the speed you think you can reasonably make the opening pass and attempt to progress upwards. After you may a full pass (opening gate, around all 6 buoys, closing gate), you'll move upward. Which is increase the speed by 3 km or shortening the rope. As soon as you do not make a full pass, your slalom run is over and they'll give you a score. This is why others above have suggested multi-round tournaments. If you miss on your first pass, not a good feeling for the day.

As others have mentioned, let the organizer or first person who helps you out when you pull up to the site know this is your first tournament. In my experience, they are often too busy running around to keep the tournament flowing to spend a lot of time with you...but absolutely WILL find someone to talk with who will answer any and all questions. And when they use lingo you don't understand, don't let it go without getting clarification.

Bongo

• Administrators
@"Mateo Vargas" if you must know his IP is behind a cloudflare server that could be in San Francisco or Boston or other. BallOfSpray uses similar technology to level the server load.

• Administrators
@"Mateo Vargas" if you must know his IP is behind a cloudflare server that could be in San Francisco or Boston or other. BallOfSpray uses similar technology to level the server load.

• Administrators

@"Mateo Vargas" maybe you would wear this... must of us could not

vkn8ajszvron.jpeg

Not saying there is anything wrong with your life choices or lifestyle .

• Administrators

@"Mateo Vargas" maybe you would wear this... must of us could not

vkn8ajszvron.jpeg

Not saying there is anything wrong with your life choices or lifestyle .