Trick ski damage on flight

WBLskier

• Baller
Traveled with a trick ski for the first time. Had it in a sleeve, with padding taped to both ends and stuffed securely in a sportube with gear around it. I just opened it up today after getting home last night at 12:30am to find one of the edges looks crushed for about 1.5 inches along one side. I have a call into Southwest but I expect I will find that since I didn't find it until I got home I will be out of luck. I have to think no one was manning the luggage counter at 12:30 last night, but not sure that will help me. Any tips about what I might be able to do to get some compensation for this would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Baller
Fall of 2015 my ski broke and a puncture hole was found on my padded ski roll bag. I called Delta and they had me email pictures and copies of receipts. They gave me full price for the new ski bag, ski and bindings even though the ski was 4 yrs old. I used the money to go buy a new vapor. My season was over in MN so the situation couldn't have worked out better for me. Good Luck. Hope Southwest will treat you as good as Delta did me. Did you have any damage to the sportube?

• Baller

They rip you off you for the over sized bag charge, then break the ski, then make it hard to make a claim. I have UPS'd my slalom ski before. Not a bad option, but not cheap either.

Call them and see what they say. First ask how late someone is at the luggage counter.

• Baller
Make sure you have the boarding pass and the checked bag sticker. You will need these as proof of taking the flight and had the bag checked. Delta has an online claim process. Check ASAP if SW has the same. Delta needed a claim done within so many hours of your arrival time.