Kid's ski(s) recommendations?

tlarocque

• Baller

I have an 8 year old daughter who had no problems getting up on a pair of old wooden skis last year. She skied so many laps that I had to swim to shore and wait for her to be done. Looking to upgrade to a better set of skis this summer and hoping to find a pair with a RTP so that, with time, she could try to slalom. Currently she is 51" tall and weighs 61#, pretty strong and athletic. Can anybody recommend a pair of skis? I found these....

https://www.amazon.com/CWB-61170306-Connelly-Supersport-Waterskis/dp/B01JLEA5NC/ref=lp_3421561_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1490971404&sr=1-2

... and these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GO1MQ4/ref=s9_acsd_topr_hd_bw_bEM6T_c_x_3_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=TWYW05EF3EZ92QHQZH6R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=36b7d951-ed97-5302-b6b8-71aa2ba3c477&pf_rd_i=3421561

Thanks!

• Baller

My kid is 7. I don't have his exact stats, but I think he is like 53 pounds and maybe 47" tall or so? Last summer he finally graduated from the kneeboard to the wakeboard and started getting up on the wakeboard (and then the season quickly ended.) So here is what I picked up for him and why.

59" blast combo

First off, I'm absolutely disgusted at the waterski manufacturers and the bindings they offer us. With wakeboards it was super easy to find a kids board that had a terrific set of bindings that are comfy, supportive etc. Waterski? nope!! They are all still stuck on that same garbage from 3 decades ago using 2 pieces of rubber. So the first reason I bought this pair is because it had bindings that were at lease one step better than the typical garbage that comes on beginner skis.

The second reason is because I wanted 59" skis. I feel like that should be just about the right size for him to be able to get up and go and not have to go too fast in order to stay on top of the water, but then also not too huge that he completely can't manage them while he is sitting in the water waiting to get up.

These skis, however, are really only for the purpose of teaching him how to get up on a slalom ski. The second that he can get up on a slalom ski consistently, say 8 out of 10 tries, I will get him a total radar awesomeness. I just liked the v shape in the bottom of these for helping him have better stability in learning how to get up.

• Baller
HO Blast Combos. And get the easily removable training bar for beginners. No question in my mind. Stable, neutral buoyancy, and enhanced tracking. We used them to teach our 4 kids and many friends. There were a few sizes when we got them. We picked to 63" which were used by 60lb kids and 170lb adults. Our teenage daughter at the time learned to slalom, deep water start, and skied the course at 22mph before she moved up to her own slalom ski.

• Baller

When my boy (9) indicated an interest in learning to slalom a few weeks ago, I took him up to Wiley's to pick out a ski. I know my boy--he's a real gear head--and I suspected that having him pick out a real stick would get him more invested in the process and committed to leaning to slalom slalom this summer. It remains to be seen whether the strategy works, but he keeps bringing up how excited he is to head out when the weather turns, so my fingers are crossed.

On the two skis, the biggest thing for kids IMO is do the bindings fit properly and is the buoyancy the right balance. Some of the combo sets float too much and it makes it hard for the kids to get into skiing position on the start. On our trainer set, I had to put weights on the rear end of the skis to get them to sink, but this impacted above-water performance. The above HO recommendation sounds good to me and if they are neutral-buoyancy skis, I might just put in an order today.

Good luck!

• Baller

@tlarocuqye: I am across the Narrows Bridge from Tacoma. Not that far from Mason Lake.

Yes, Wiley's is a "must visit" with loads of waterski history hanging on the wall. Darren is great to deal with and very helpful picking out gear.

Let me know if you want any sets on the course at Long Lake in Port Orchard when you are in town.

• Baller

Gig Harbor? I lived in University Place for about a year and a half and that's how I landed on Mason Lake. I am very-much a recreational skier but I know where Long Lake is and I would LOVE to try my first pass on a set. We'll be up there quite a bit this summer. Thanks!