Sportube 1 or 2?

mlange

• Baller
I have the 3 and love it. Easy to get over 50lb of stuff in it though. Be careful with what you put in it for the airlines as sometimes they interpret it as strictly for ski equipment if it flies free. Also as others have stated previously put some sort of ski guard inside the tube for piece of mind. Also take pictures of stuff going in and always open it up and check the contents at the airport after each flight. This way you at least have a documented record if something gets damaged.

• Baller

The only problems with a sportstube from my propective is skis have got a little wider, if you have rubber bindings and leave them on , it is a reall tight fit, no wriggle room, you ski is right along the bottom edge, you have to mount your stuff on the ski and slide it in, not a problem until the TSA open it up, they are not very good at repacking it, sometimes not all the stuff goes back in.

The soft option, is not ideal but you can pack stuff all around your ski, I allow movement of the ski I do not pack too tight and keep the bag as light as possible, bags can get jammed on the conveyer system, if the ski can move and the bag is a little flexible it will make it through, personally having worked at a international airport for 42 years , I have seen what baggage handlers are capable of, if your bag gets stuck in the conveyer system, some neanderthal is going to come along and lever kick, get hold of and force the bag around the obstruction to clear the conveyer.

Some conveyer systems at various airports are not meant to take the sort equipment we use, I hear you say oversize baggage, well some staff still feed the conveyer with that baggage.

The other problem I had with the sportstube was it slides around all over the place, which means it could slide off the baggage trolley, the other problem is I have seen them on baggage trolleys sideways across ,if they drive past a obstrution too close it could get caught up on the obstacle and cause damage.

I have had skis damaged by airlines while using the Sportstube 3 and using Ski Travel Bag, I just find the bag easier to pack, the TSA can see whats in there much easier and can repack the bag easier.

You have to make your choice, but neither option is full proof.

Guy,s this is just my take on it, there are many people, who rate their Sportstube as the best option, does anybody have a different view pont from me ?

• Baller

I agree @Stevie Boy to a point regarding soft vs hard cases. I have a sportube 3, it is really the only option for slalom skis out of the 3 models they have. Others won't fit the ski with bindings.

One thing to consider with a hard case is many airlines won't cover damage to your gear if it isn't packed in a hardcase.

I've traveled with my sportube a dozen or so times and just once coming into MCO did I have an issue (box left open with pin missing as I picked it up on the claim belt - fortunately nothing missing)

After that instance I added a bungee and caribeener as backup to the snap ring pin that comes with the sportube. I try to make sure I pack the ski so it's fairly easy to get back inside for TSA, using bungees I tie my vest, rope and gloves to the ski.

The airport I typically fly out of either has a auto scan or you pull it out yourself for inspection so I only have to deal with airport staff making a mistake on my way home.

• Baller

I use a 3.

I also pack it with one of the large Goode bags with all my stuff in that. The screeners have a much easier time keeping everthing together and getting it back in the tube. One rote you have to turn your ski on its side in the Goode bag to get it to fit. I still wrap and protect the ski with the vest, towels etc.

• Baller

I have and have used a Sport tube 3 - Tricky to load and yes hope TSA puts everything back in. When I needed a second bag I went with a DaKine Ski bag, They make a 175 and a 190cm bag with padding, compartments and almost 1/2 the cost. It was called the fall line or fall collection. It looks identical to the Radar bag for $50 less. It has been used and now I have a second to replace the Sport tube. If you can't find a175 DaKine ski bag, look under snowboard bag 175 is their largest and identical.

• Supporting Member

I would only say/add (with no affiliation) to ship it via Ship Sticks. I have done this twice and been very happy to not worry about TSA, the Airline or fitting in the Rental Car with other luggage.

I used the 2 Tube (1 ski and gear) and put in some duct tape and the return shipping label taped it up and dropped it at the front desk of the Hotel. Ship Sticks used FedEx and they came and got it. It arrived 2 days after I got home.

• Baller

I looked at the 3 and was surprised to see it's not completely rigid, the plastic has flex to it.

I ended up getting a masterline travel bag, which I reinforced by cutting off 2-3 ft sections of the box my ski was shipped in to give it more protection.

Worked well in Feb when we went to Cancun. I was glad I have the extra support from the cardboard as on the return trip home it was underneath several golf bags when the bags came out the oversized bag door.

Maybe the best option is a sport tube inside a soft roller bag!

• Baller

I use soft bags I have a Burton snowboard bag and a Masterline 3 event bag. I put the ski in my regular ski bag then pack towels, vests etc around the bag.

I have flown a fair amount and been lucky so far. I think baggage handlers are rougher with hard cases.

• Baller
What a couple guys said, pack your stuff in a light weight soft bag first. Easier for you to pack, and more importantly easier for TSA to get the sportube back together. I also lost the pin as happened@wtrskior - so I now use a short piece of insulated solid 10 gauge electrical wire instead of the pin that was lost. Easy to insert and twist. Then keep a spare handy.

• Baller_
I Stopped using my Sport tube. Now using a Masterline roller bag instead. seems when traveling with the sport tube one gets a false feeling of ski safety when just the opposite is reality. The monkey's that handle the sport tube feel that it is indestructible. Have had two skis demolished in the sport tube ( the sport tube survived as the crush was easily pushed back out). I think that the soft roller bag is easier to handle and is more compact and TSA has no problems at all checking it out.

• Baller

I like the SportTube 3. I used to have a 1, now have a couple 2's and a 3. The 1 is too small for skis anymore, my snow skis won't even fit and no hope for my water ski. The 2 works great for 1 pair of my snow skis and the wife's (or my snow slalom's) but is a bit tight for the waterski. The 3 gives enough room for my ski in a padded bag with some bubble wrap at each end. I use the Goode padded bag as it is oversize, kind of a 1-event bag. A couple towels, gloves, boot liners, sunscreen and handle go in the padded bag. The vest separate from bag. That's it, nothing else, I don't load it up. TSA can slide the ski bag in and out easy to unzip and inspect. The ski does not flop around inside but is not tight anywhere except for the ends. So I get occasional dents in the tube but the ski can move around enough so the tube just absorbs it. They would have to seriously crush the tube, more than just toss it around, to kill the ski. Any soft solution would die sooner. Anyhow it has worked for me well. Also, a few airlines state ski's only covered if in a hard case. Check the policies before you buy tickets.

One thing about Southwest is the tube fly's for free. FedEx and ShipStix probably safer but last I looked quite a bit more expensive. Essentially an entry fee or two to get it there and a hotel room or two to get it back. Go to another tournament for that.