prop damage

Gus

Bit surprised to find the prop in this condition, its 2 years old. I don't remember seeing all those little holes last year when we took it out. Anyone any experience with that? Is this normal?

tksef8vw4206.jpg

• Baller_
From the condition of the bottom, I'd guess your boat spends a lot of time in the water where electrolysis has taken a toll. I'd bolt a couple of zincs to the shaft support strut or swimstep brackets to help protect your next prop. Dis-similar metals in solution are the culprit.

• Baller
It does look like it could be electrolysis but not quite like I'm used to seeing. Yes a zinc anode like pictured above will help. My main question is what's causing the electrolysis? Could be exposed electric in the boat or in this case more likely at the dock.

I have a sun powered ventilator, installed in the cover - very effective against mould and always a fresh smell in the boat. Its plastic, and could produce quite some static on sunny days. But I'd expect that to dissipate when it hits the water surface..

• Baller

Hey Gus, You should make sure that the negative terminal of the sun powered ventilator power source and/or battery is grounded to the negative terminal or engine block of the boat. That should help reduce that static, and that static is probably adding to the electrolysis problem.

-Rip