Kill switch failing.

Wish

• Baller_
97 196 with kill switch failing. I did the temporary bandaid and slipped a shim between lanyard clip and kill button but that's starting to not work. I'm sure it's a simple fix to hard wire it but seems that the leaning curve is often shortened greatly here on BOS. Suggestions, comments welcome. Is it easier to do with driver seat removed or is that not needed? Just a couple wires to cut and wire nut together or is it more then that? Thanks in advance for posts.

• Baller_

The Kill switch is very easy to replace, The unit has push on spade connectors. take the nut off from the front of the unit reach around the console from the rear and un plug and plug in new unit reinstall. less then a 5 min replacement.

Some of you advocate removal of these devices however it is highly recommended to keep them intact and in good working order, Also to use them it may save a life or a liability suite if found altered or circumvented after a catastrophic accident..

• Baller
This is the very first thing I look at when the boat mysteriously wont start. Last summer lake owners were frantically looking at the engine and talking about blown gaskets. We were all walking down the levee back to the dock and I said lets double check the kill switch and re seat it -bam fixed!

• Baller

@Jody_Seal If I'm riding a jetski, I'm using a kill switch. Extrapolating this reasonable use to a tournament ski boat is absurd. I wonder if more deaths have occurred due to failure of the kill switch at a bad time then getting spontaneously ejected from a tournament boat.

Rules which are misguided do not deserve our support.

I've had so many killswitches fail. Like @cragginshred says, check that first. But Jody has a good point, replacement is easy. Troubleshooting a hidden corroded wire nut from the removed kill switch is really hard.

Eric

• Baller
I do most of my course maintenance leaning out the drivers seat on my submersible course. Should shut the engine down but don't always. Would be very easy to bump the throttle and get dumped out. Can think of a lot of other scenarios also. Keep it and use it!

• Baller_
I suspect if I did a poll of ....do you use the kill switch in your ski boat? There would be less then 2% use. Now, how is it there are so many safety measures/rules when it comes to tournament skiing but having the driver use the kill switch is not one of them (from what I know)?

• Baller

@Orlando76 No, I've never fished a body out of the water. Only remote chance will be a swimmer drowned in a rip current at our beach. Has anyone EVER died after being thrown from a ski boat? For that matter, has anyone ever used the stupid lanyard in a ski boat? Realistic assessment of risk matters.

@thager You can really work on your course from the driver's seat with your right hand cuffed to a lanyard? Just pull the throttle pin - it's quick, easy, foolproof and safe.

A squall quickly came up at the other end of Shushwap lake (a very long fetch to generate 4 foot waves). To keep from sinking, we had to keep the boat in a bow high running attitude when crossing back to the safe harbor. Physical enough to require some driver up and down and rough enough to possibly shake a clip loose (especially on an old switch). Fortunately our old boat didn't have a safety problem kill switch so the engine kept running and we made it to safety.

"Safety" features need careful consideration before they are forced on us.

Eric

• Baller
Nobody forcing it on you Eric. I clip the lanyard to my clothing not my wrist. I do know from 20 years as an aviation accident investigator that insurance companies will go to great lengths to get out of paying settlements.

• Baller

So I am forced to use it if I want to avoid liability. That makes the kill switch (which I think reduces my safety and is certainly a maintenance disaster) an assignment of liability to me instead of addressing whatever real safety issues cause some accident. A kill switch is all bad.

Tractors have seat sensors. Teslas have steering wheel sensors. Boats have a lanyard that no one uses. We are stuck with a $30 switch that fails frequently and in the real world never is used. Improve it or dump it.

Eric

Edit. Some boats need the kill switch and the lanyard is a cheap way to get it done. Tournament ski boats don't fall in the category of regularly ejecting drivers.

• Baller

Fails frequently? What is your definition of frequently?

I am not disagreeing with your thoughts, but having a kill switch be the reason you die, cannot ski, cause an accident, the zombies come is ridiculous to me. Off all the things to fail or cause serious problems I think the kill switch is pretty low on that list.

While I rarely use mine it is still fully functional and I'd never think of deleting it. Crap, it is more work to delete it and have it look nice than to just replace the damn thing.

• Baller

Nobody can force you to use it. It is there because somewhere in the past someone died.

Same reason there are aviation regulations and other rules of the road etc. Remove the part or bypass it and you set yourself up for liability. Puff,puff, I'm done.

• Baller

@BrennanKMN I have had the boat quit scores of times. Every old switch has eventually quit working. Never has it saved anyone. I'd call that a 100% failure rate.

To be sure, all nuisance failures. Some have been expensive with the unneeded part replacements. No critical issues. Just "why is this even here?"

Who is this mythical person who in the past died in a tournament boat? The only one who it really got to is John Galt.

Eric

• Baller
I used mine once. Huge winds at Lake Powell with a full boat (wife, 2 kids, tent, sups, grill, sleeping bags,skis,surfboard ...), had the fam wear vests, too. Never thought of using it on a tourney lake. I just keep a spare under the bow, and it's the very first thing I check when the boat won't start.

hi, had a intermittent electric problem on my 2002 am skier.After living with it for years unable to find out why it does not start every once in a while,no problem because we use mostly on private lake.Finnally found kill swich slightly warped from the sun causing it to flex open and not allow to start,all else ok

• Baller

mine failed years ago...never used it anyhow....cut wires, twisted them together...added a little electrical tape...good for 10 years so far.

Never have I actually seen someone attach the lanyard to themselves...not at my lake, not at any ski school I've been to and not at the ski club that I frequent.

• Baller
A buddy has a 02 sunsetter lxi, Been shutting down in him lately, no bogg, no sputter, just like you turn the key off. Everything is in excellent repair on the engine, I am assuming it's the kill switch. As soon as he cylcles the key it usually fires back up, the odd time has to crank it a bit. Any suggestions?