Ilmor vs Indmar

ozski

• Baller
I would be interested in hearing some owner opinion & feedback. I've owned both PCM and Indmar, no real issues with either. I've heard some negative comment about the Ilmor but its been minimal and nothing I would draw a conclusion from. The Ilmor has been around for a few seasons now so how are they holding together?

• Baller
I have owned 2 boats with PCM, and put 1200 hrs on both. Zero issues. I have owned a number of Indmar, but flipped them annually, as they were promos. For the time I ran them, no issues. The current ride has a 2012 Ilmor. I am on my 4th circulator pump. I have also had a leaky manifold freeze plug that I found were steel, and not stainless. There are 20 on the manifolds alone, half being on the inside facing the block. They are now installing stainless. Also, the hoses going from the thru hull fitting all the way to the raw water pump, are suction hoses, and as a result, have a coil of wire inside to keep them from getting sucked closed. Mine were steel, not stainless, rotted out, got sucked into the raw water pump, destroyed it, and overheated the engine. They now have hoses with stainless wire coils. The boat is only used in fresh water. I am not at all impressed with these annoying issues. Next boat will be powered by PCM.

• Baller
There were some growing pains the first two years with Ilmor, IE 2011 and 2012. Most now rectified. One thing I always loved was their oil filter setup. Right on top with a bowl around it that drains back into pan. Unscrew the filter and let it drain itself, then throw it away. No mess.

• Baller

Ilmor still offers the 5.7, but also a 5.3DI, 6.2Di and the big boy 7.4MPI.

@ozski my 5.7 has a plenty of punch. I've only had the boat out once, but it sure doesn't feel like we've given up any power compared to our 343 SN.