Deepwater Binding Lube

trailrider

Unfortunately my boat does not have a swim platform. I am used to putting on my ski in the water. I just replaced a 1980 front Connelly plate binding with a Wiley's midwrap. The wrap is higher and I think will be more difficult to put on in the water. What binding lube would be recommended to use while putting the ski on while in the water. I want something that is safe for the binding and the water. It should wash out so as not to be slippery while sking. Or should I put the ski on in the boat and roll into the water? Our boat is deeper than a tournament boat.

Thanks,

Mike

• Baller
Put the ski on in the boat, sit on the side gunwhale, lift your ski up and over the side, and slide in. That assumes you don't mind putting pressure on the fin while it is one the floor of the boat. Personally, I would find a wooden block or something to keep the fin off the floor. Even on starting docks I leave the fin hang over the edge, as do most skiers.

• Baller
First I would try the wire lube @A_B recommend. AB described the over the side method. Just don't smack anyone in the face with your ski. I had a big flat engine cover we would stand on. Then once my ski was on, scoot off the transom.

• Baller
So no platform at all? On my old bayliner it just had the small platform on one side of the outdrive. So you would have to sit down on it and put the ski on sitting. Worked fine just had to avoid kicking the boat with ski.

• Baller
for the first 10 years or so most of my skiing was on an outboard. I just sat on the edge of the gunnel and dangled my feet and ski out over the water. But that was only one rubber with a RTP. On occasion things would get complicated and a ski might bang into the side.

• Baller

On our Seaswirl, we had a half step, with an aluminum hoop holding it on, that I would put the front of the ski through to put both boots on, then I would sit on the outboard and twist out of that hoop, which was a real acrobatic act. Not good if someone's wake was coming through. It was a motivating reason to get a direct drive, along with the poor performance our outboard had up at the altitudes we moved to. On other outboards we would put on in the boat, then spin over the side. Also a bit dangerous with cleats, window frames, motor steering arms, etc. in the way.

Had it to do it over, I would rather be in the water, somehow.