Keep kids in RTP?

Bdecker

• Baller
I just bought my son (10) a new (used) slalom. 59" O'Brien Elite. It came with the semi-hard shell bindings they made, they look non-releasable. My gut is to mount his Wiley's and rtp on and toss the double boots in the shed. Is there any benefit in putting him in double boots?

• Baller_

Definite no to double boots at that age/stage. Wiley and RTP until he's ready for a Reflex.

Unless he is going 34mph, a 59" ski is way too small. He will progress much faster on a properly sized ski. Below 30mph should be a 64". If he's at 30-32, then a 62" would be right.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Interesting, I went with the smaller ski because I thought the 63" was huge for him. He only weighs 70 lbs. I'll try him on it to see how things go- I have 2 bigger skis for him if things aren't better.

• Baller

@RazorRoss3 it's a kid. They are pretty adaptable and can ski 10 sets a day.

Rini cut the tails off adult comp skis for his kids as I recall. Pretty sure neilly Ross used to rip shortline on a cut down ski too

• Baller

+1 on a bigger ski. I made that 59" mistake. That lasted only a few sets. Now she's on an old 65' that I had. Is it big? Yea. Is she more comfortable on it? Yea. Does she ski better on it? Yea. (She weighs all of about 60 lbs.)

I also vote for RTP. I don't have any real justification for it other than I think kids might feel less comfortable being so "locked-in" when they are still getting the feel for it.

• Baller_
RTP and never move to double boots. Much easier getting COM forward on a ski with RTP period. Wish I had never moved to double but it was "the thing to do". Now more skiers seem to be moving back to RTP and for good reason. I still have a ski set up with an RTP that I'm gonna start playing with again and if I can run consistent 35s on it, the double boot system will be collect dust. I would also suggest that the Elite is not a user friendly ski...unless it is designed different for youth.