The Perfect Pass

ToddL

• Baller

Ever ski one of these? I have. Did one today. It is just one of those passes where everything is just... right. Yeah. It feels amazing. So, as I set there in the water afterwards waiting for the return pass, I was thinking: "Why? What was so different about that one and any number of the others?" I'm sure the answer varies for each of us. It is likely the last thing we are working on, finally coming together. Maybe it was perfect load control as per the recent thread.

Today's pass was about enjoying the ride out to the buoy. One of the things I have been focused on is what I do from center-line to buoy-line. Today, I was thinking about a video of a recent "perfect" 39.5 off pass by Nate Smith performed at my site. I had noticed that from center line to buoy line he is simply getting taller and moving over his front foot. So what!?! Well, his ski is down in the water, but he is still on the handle. He is riding the boat out to the buoy line while building "drag" by keeping the whole sweet spot of the ski wet. The water is breaking well above his front foot the whole way out to the buoy line. His COM is up and forward as early as possible. This means that his ski is being fueled by the boat but no longer accelerating. He is decelerating in a controlled way such that when he releases and starts his extension, he has slowed to a perfect spend where he is "free" but not slacked. He makes his turn and the rope and handle are there, no slack, and he is ready to ride the boat's energy to the other side.

So, as I sit in the water, I realize that my COM was up and forward more early off the center line than before. I was riding this longer wetted ski surface with minimal load all the way out to the buoy line. When I got there, all was calm. There was no sense of overspeed/late/narrow/whatever. It was just... sweet. So, that's my focus this year - the ride out to the buoy line. When that is right, everything else just feels - perfect!

(old pic, but best shot showing what I mean...)

mzx8zgyru2uj.jpg

• Baller
Ahh yes what a great feeling. I've had very few, but I had one over the summer where I had to check with my driver whether the PP actually engaged. Thankfully it was and time was spot on. Stupidly I thought the following pass would work out the same ... it didn't.

• Baller
Nice @ToddL! I think you are right about the great pros. Before CL they are adding load to the line. After CL they are letting the boat pull them to width while keeping two hands on. Doing so allows the boat to pull them out to full width (aka the end of the line) in control, on top of the ski, and ready for the next turn.

• Baller
@Razorskier1 - Most skiers in my skill range are figuring out that equation. However, the weight distribution on the ski during the glide out and up is often the missing piece. When that is right... wow. just wow.