Alberta lake life

pgmoore

• Baller
Now I get it!!!!! Somehow you slalom skiers managed to convince all the surf boats in Alberta to come to BC and ruin our water for the summer so you guys can have all the glass to yourselves. Very sneaky guys but -THEY WILL RETURN.

• Baller

Hey Fam-man, sorry just got back this week from vacation at the lake. The course used to be put in by a guy across from me, but he became frustrated by the lack of respect and the amount of damage being caused by seadoo's and inboard outboards. The one that gets put in now is only in for 2 weeks every summer. The house 3 doors down from me puts it in when his son in law visits as they bring the course with them but they take it home when they leave. Let me know if you plan to be on the lake....there's always a cold beer or 10 at my place.

Heading our to Jackfish Lake by Carvel after work, hoping to get a few good skis in. Just have to hope that the plethora of surfing boats aren't on the lake, or at least stay give our boat a little space in the North Bay! One can dream.

• Baller

Does Jackfish Lake suffer the algae issues that Wizard & Pigeon do early on in the year?

One of the worst parts of summer when we lived there was that damned algae and us having to go farther from home to ski!

Happy to not have to worry about that anymore. :)

@skihard No Jackfish doesn't suffer from the same algae issues. Near the end of August (like right now) you sometimes get a bit of green, but the only time I've ever seen a warning for blue-green was two years ago when it was so dry and the water levels went down a ton. The only bad part about Jackfish is that there's so many damn surf boats. Majority of boats on the lake are new, big MC surf boats and there's plenty of drivers who will drive in circles and push out rollers for everyone, so you definitely have to watch for that while skiing.

• Baller

Very random, but I am sitting at work, day dreaming about next years boating season. One thing I was hoping to do was launch my boat and ski on Upper Kananaskis lake. Has anyone ever been on that lake or know someone that has? Power boats are allowed on it and I though the backdrop of mountains would make for some amazing photos! There is nothing mentioning that waterskiing is prohibited, just 'not recommended'. I saw this article a while back and it gave me the inspiration to find some mountain lakes to get out on: https://www.waterskimag.com/features/2014/02/04/quick-set-4-skiers-experience-the-canadian-rockies

• Baller

There are several good lakes to ski in that area. My experience has been primarily in the Columbia Valley - Columbia, Wasa, WIndermere, Premiere, with killer mountain back drops. There are also 2 man made lakes in the area but I only skied Fairmont Beach Resort at Fairmont. Not sure what the status of the site is as I have lost touch with the developer.

I never ventured onto Kananaskis even thou I have relatives with a cabin on it. Lots of debris on it and they regularly carry 3 spare props in the boat.

• Baller

I do want to check out Premiere on day, seen some photos of it and look like an amazing lake. I was thinking Upper Kananaskis because it could be done in an afternoon from Calgary, but I don't feel like hitting a bunch of logs.

http://hikingwithbarry.com/sites/hikingwithbarry.com/files/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/UpperKan-Lake_002.jpg

• Baller

Live in Calgary, do all my skiing at my cabin on Shuswap Lake, BC

onx3rgf5peno.jpg

d1p76gxjtx4u.jpg

0gcedkten988.jpg

On my way in my old boat to my friend's cabin (little light brown place with white trim at 10 o'clock) to pick him up for a phenomenal morning of skiing. Mirror, mirror on the wall...

34oa7a321b2u.jpg

Coffee and Bailey's in my friend's hot tub after a terrific morning of skiing on very calm water.

fqdlj4dnt3hi.jpg

• Baller

Hey @DangerBoy as a life long BC resident I have to give you the gears.....thread should be called Albertan's Lake Life on BC Lakes.

I certainly welcome all comers with slalom boats and wish those with the surf barges stayed home. The latest trend of trying to ski behind these barges is growing on our lakes. I just wish the idiots would drain their ballast tanks BEFORE they use them at ski speeds. Whole new level of damaging wakes.

• Baller
S1Pitts, I feel your pain. I grew up in BC and resented the Albertans due to the few that had no respect. However, now being an Alberta resident myself and having a lake house in BC, I've come to realize the registration on your boat and the place you reside doesn't make you any smarter. The BC barges are messing things up as much as the Alberta barges. I just have to get up earlier to get my water! :)

• Baller

@ironhorse So true as it seems many of those barge owners are first time boat owners to cap it off and I admit many are now locally owned.

Finding water even in the early hrs is getting harder as many of them have lights and they surf till 2 am. Lake never really settles down till end of sept now.

My wife was born and raised in Alberta. You should hear her complain about them. LOL

We are truly bless with an abundance of lakes here in Canada. I suppose that is why we have produced so many world class watersports athletes over the years.

• Baller

@SportSki I'm in Wildrose Bay. Main Arm, south side at the end of the publicly maintained part of Eagle Bay Road. Right across the lake from St. Ives. That said, we ski wherever the calm water is so some mornings it's in our bay or another one just west of us. Other mornings it could be just into Seymour Arm, not far from the Narrows. Other mornings it could be just into Anstey Arm or even almost at the end of it. It all depends on if there's any wind and which way it's blowing that particular morning. If there's calm water to be found, we'll find it and put it to the use it was meant for; waterskiing! ;)

@S1Pitts There are just as many BC people on the lake running aircraft carriers as Albertans. Personally, I hate the things and have no use for them but I do have friends (many of them from Alberta) that own aircraft carriers because they like to do the surfing and crap but they never operate them early in the morning because they're just as into waterskiing as I am and are out waterskiing either with me or at the same time as me but just in another ski boat.

Here's a picture from yesterday morning some friends I ski with sent me from their Prostar. A great morning of skiing was had by all. Wish I was there. :| Next week I'll be shreddin' it up with 'em. :)

vklxu41ln08q.jpg

@schafer I saw that on the wswa site! I'm from Northern AB but I'm trying to get a buddy in central to go to the adult clinic/session at your site tomorrow evening. Very exciting for Albertan skiers. Nice work!

• Baller
40 years of algae has been good for our course in Central Alberta, we have a great relationship with the Air Chair club, they totally get what we need for water conditions and the surfers, PWC and tubers don't get out of bed to wreck our water, from 7-10 am its almost like having a private lake. Toxic blue algae warning signs help us out too, we have never stopped skiing due to toxic algae as it usually only occurs at the other end of our lake.