Thoughts on HO System 8?

aspski

• Baller

Hey gang, this ski popped up for sale near me. Price seems to be pretty good, ski looks to be in really good shape for a 2007. 

Just wanted to see if anyone had skied the System 8 before and what their thoughts were. I am an advanced skier, been slaloming since I was a kid. Right now I have a 69' HO Triumph that I share with my dad. Its a bit big and feels a little wide, but we got it more as an "everyone can ski this kind of ski"

LINK

• Baller

I liked the ski - I actually still have mine and I think it's an 06 - different graphics. It's basically the Monza mold but made differently - might be aluminum top whereas the Monza was carbon but don't quote me on that part. Best onside I ever had on this ski...so much angle - it was awesome from that perspective.

One thing about it is that you need to ensure you get the fin just right. If you buy it let me know and I'll post my numbers I'll have to re-measure them as I still have the ski - it's crazy sensitive and will ski horribly if your fin is wrong.

Rossi skied it for a while. He said it was more forgiving in rough conditions than the Monza if I remember correctly.

• Baller
BTW, now that I think about it the Triumph was also a Monza shape, but made wider. Moving from the Triumph to System 8 may prove a relatively simple change for you given they are both shaped the same. Good luck

• Baller

System 8 is the exact same shape as the Monza but has a heavier core and is a fiberglass and carbon fiber mix. Monza was all carbon. I have a 2008 S8 that I skied on for 3 years. It was a fun ski but was a lot of work. For the same money I would take a Coeffiecient X over the S8, it takes less effort and to me was very similar in feel.

It may feel a little squirrely compared to a Triumph that is a little big for you but it won't take long to get used to it.

• Baller
Had both a S8 and Monza. Neither was a bad ski. Both were crazy sensitive as @Rob indicated. Mine, I'd dial in on clear, cold water, and it'd be a completely different ski on warm, cloudy water. Slot fin helped that immensely. Still have both of those skis up at the lake.

I skied the system 8 for a few years and i improved a lot on it but it was very slow compared to a first generation strada. I also would blow out the tail alot on turns which caused some ankle injuries, but maybe that could have been solved with a fin adjustment.