Battery suggestions?

Most places that sell marine batteries, the warranty is for 1 year.

Most Regular car batteries have a 3 year warranty.

There is only about three companies that manufacture batteries, then its a matter of labeling and marketing.

Been using Sam's Club car batteries.

Be sure to keep the receipt (or take a picture of it) as their records only go back two years.

Just my $0.015 worth

• Baller

I like the Interstate Marine Heavy duty batteries for boat use.

interstate 24m-xhd - 1000 cranking amps, 800 CCA, around $120

The 2 in my boat are on season 6 so far. Never had much luck with cheapo batteries from wally world or o'reilly.

• Baller

Any good car battery that has similar CCA's should work fine.

I'm personally done with Interstate Marine batteries that start going south after a year.

So....I've been using a Costco auto battery for my 2002 PCM, going on three years now. So far, so good. And the price difference paid for a few cases of beer. :)

• Baller
My boat came with a Costco/Kirkland battery from prior owner. didn't even look at the CCA's. I presume they are similar. I just put it on a standalone battery charger/conditioner a bit before the season. Been firing right up so far. It is marked as a 2014 battery.

• Baller

I just replaced my SN battery with an Interstate MT7 AGM car battery (Absorbed Glass Mat) - it's a sealed, maintenance free battery with the advantage being it deals with vibration better than a classic lead - acid wet battery.

4 year warranty.

Very happy thus far.

Drawback is the cost: 2x a standard starter battery, but I spare no expense when it comes to "the other woman"...

On a side note - stay away from the Optima line, ever since they started making them in Mexico quality has suffered...

• Baller

I just replaced my NAPA battery w/ another NAPA battery ($90) for my LXi. Got 5 years out of the last one...remove in the winter and occasionally throw on the charger.

Interestingly, my buddy had same boat as you w/ GT40...chased fuel pump "gremlins" for years...and resolved itself when he replaced battery.

As said earlier only 3 manufacturers. Most batteries will have 1 year replacement and a prorated warranty after that. In fact interstate Just settled on a class action because of that. Johnson controls makes most batteries like Walmart and such.

A marine battery will usually last 3-6 years depending. We store around 350 boats a season in Ny. We only disconnect but leave battery in the boat. We only have to replace around 5-10 batteries due to warranty a year. These are exide or deka 800/1000 batteries.

• Baller

@TallSkinnyGuy - many auto parts stores have a battery tester that will give you a print out of the current cranking amps versus the spec'd rating. Just checking it with a volt meter isn't sufficient.

You just have to deal with lugging it in there.

I did this two years ago with an 8 year battery and was able get two more years out of it. The guy at store was amazed it was still going.

The problem is when a battery starts to go bad you may be fine for the most part. Until you have to crank the motor a few extra times(perhaps the lanyard wasn't attached) or you run the blower, bilge, and radio and lose the surface charge and no longer have enough cca to spin the flywheel.

• Baller

OPTIMA...OPTIMA...OPTIMA !!! Not a better battery available. The one that came with my 2011 CC200 lasted only 2 years. A total piece of crap. I buy them direct online from Optima and put them in everything I have with a motor. Seem to last forever !!!