Dry Suit - Neoprene OR Membrane

OldboyII

• Baller

Last season I finished in nearly iced water. This season also started in cold conditions.

I felt reasonably Ok in two layers of Camaro wetsuites, though thinking about something more comfortable.

Choosing between new O'Neil neoprene drysuite and classic baggy.

My experience with Drysuites is Zero.

Theoretically baggy is lighter and dry out faster.

Neo one is tighter fit on lower body and probably needs lighter underwear, but heavier when wet and more bulky for transportation....

What could you recommend?

What Pro and Contra arguments for each?

• Baller_
Certainly a personal preference item, I like the neo suit or a hybrid variant for skiing as I don't like the baggy legs. Baggy for cold water barefooting over the barefoot suit.

• Baller

Thanks 2all for replies.

After trying few of them bought Mystic Force.

All the rest were too tight in the neck.

Early yesterday morning (air- 6C, water 14C) gave it a try.

35 min in the water, comfortable & warm.

Not baggy at all (maybe because Im not tall and one size down was good for me) espesially after letting extra air go out via neck cuff in the water.

Put it on over a jogging suit + thin vest, when put it off everything was totally dry inside. Looks like breathable endeed.

No need to change wet stuff: just put it off, jump in the car and go home ))

• Baller

I like the O'Neill hybrid (have one myself). I like how long the sealing surface is on my arms and legs.

My buddy has a baggy type drysuit. The seals just don't seem as sturdy, especially the neck seal. I skied in 39 degree water this spring two days after the ice came off, and had zero issues with cold.

• Baller
@AlpJr - that's the O'Neill Fluid. I bought one for myself and one for my wife. Very nice suit. However, I wear a large in the O'Neill hybrid, and bought a large in the Fluid. It is pretty snug. If you order one, I'd suggest going up a size.

• Baller

Bringing back this thread from last spring.

Looks like Barts has the Hybrid on sale. Would y'all recommend that over the Fluid? $75 savings with the Hybrid which isn't much especially considering I'll use this hopefully for years.

After skiing this past weekend I'm itching to be able to ski the second the ice opens in April next season.

Hybrid Assault or Fluid Neo?

• Baller
as @RichardDoane can tell you a couple of neoprene sleeves over the lower legs will keep a bag suit from dragging in the water and you can wear as many warm dry layers under it as you want. an additional bonus is that it sheds water immediately so you can simply roll it up and put it away in your ski bag. i've owned several hybrid suits and the neoprene legs are always soaking wet after skiing which means you will have to hang it up to dry.

• Baller
I just bought the O’Neill boost baggy suit, and it’s great. I debated between the hybrid and the baggy and ended up really liking the baggy, you don’t notice the legs too much other than the sound of the water hitting it. Great range of motion and really easy to get on and off. The hybrid or neoprene will constrict movement a little more and you can’t just wear a sweatsuit under it. It’s all personal preference, price point is pretty close.

• Baller

@OldboyII if you are still interested I have 2 new O'Neill assault hybrid size XL (best dry suit in my opinion) for 100€ each. One of them has been used once but I don't know which one.

I also have an O'Neill Boost size XL ( buggy style), I think it has been used once or twice, you can't really tell, 100€ too.

Online they sell between 300-500€ maybe a little less I'm not sure

• Baller

I bought a Patagonia 5/4 Fullsuit 2 years ago, haven't touched my drysuit since. Ski the following day ice comes off to darn near freeze up. Beats any baggy or hybrid drysuit I ever had by far, next to no water infiltration and great movement.

9rc1dkjicb0l.png

• Baller

@skialex thanks, I posted above that I got drysuit Mystic Force.

Liked it because it is not only protecting me from cold water, but it is heating me. Never felt so comfortable in wetsuit. All wetsuits I have are evaporating water from surface while skiing thus losing lot of heat energy. Wetsuit feels very good in the water but not as good when running 50+km per hour above water ))

Although I think it is more connected to air temp, than water temp.