Advice and thoughts on 97 Response LX

FSSPCat

• Baller

Hey everyone,

Hoping to trouble you for some insight on a Response LX I am looking at. The boat itself has high hours (1500) but looks immaculately maintained, and I do have a full list of services, replacements, etc. It does honestly seem like it has been well taken care of. It does not have speed control of a bimini, so I would need to add those. I have skied behind an 01 RLX, but not the 97. What is the wake like? Thanks everyone.

• Baller

Ever ski behind a Sportster or Echelon? Will be very similar to those. The '97 Response had the SV23 hull. Fast hull, great for barefooting and fine for slalom, but a little harder than the '98 and newer which had the SV23 Diamond setup. The SV23 became known as the original "Wake" hull on all the Wakesetters due to its lack of downturned chines. It can be displaced more easily at planing speeds with ballast but it wasn't really designed to be a wake hull. It was their premier 3 event hull until the Diamond came on the scene in 98.

My experience behind SV23 hulls is that the wakes are nice and tiny, but they feel a little bit more firm than the SV23 Diamond. HOWEVER, the only SV23 hulls I've been behind didn't have more modern CNC props. Prop can make a big difference in wake feel.

Can you ski it?

• Baller
Oh yeah if that thing has the old CVP stainless prop it's gotta go ASAP! Echoing what Matt said the wake is small but it's firm. Depending on what they are asking for the boat and the intended use there may be better options out there.

• Baller
@UWSkier yes I will definitely be skiing it before a purchase. Here is the info the seller sent me about the prop (Replaced stainless steel prop with an Acme Nibral (nickel, bronze, aluminum) prop.). There is a course on our lake, but we are mostly open water skiers. We have been skiing behind a 2007 Moomba Outback, a 06 Mastercraft X1, and a 07 Supra 20SSV. I decided that I would buy a more true ski boat. Most of us are skiing at 34 and 15-22 off. Mostly recreational to be honest. I'm probably the most aggressive skier in the bunch, but have no idea how I'd do on the course.

• Members
We had a '97 and then a '98 Response at Bell Aqua Lake 1. I remember both as good slalom boats on private lake water. Took one of them to Tahoe once and thought it might fall apart in the rough water. Certainly not a Nautique in terms of solid quality, but in terms of pull and wake, I thought they were good boats. I recall putting a foot pedal accuski in one of them, which at the time I thought felt better than PP.

• Baller_
The Prostar 195 will be just like the 1995-1997 Prostar 190. They are the same hull. Wake will be low and firm, but good at 22 off. Spray should be minimal.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Very nice! I recommend a seat cushion on your seat cushion...about the only thing I don't like about the boat is the low sitting driver's seat. Sporty and fun to drive...a good friend (and a different ski buddy) both had one for years and loved them.

Should be telling that they both upgraded last year but ran their LX's since 2000--a 16 year run for a boat and still happy is pretty good! Have fun!