Speed crossing the wake

blinddog

I've always been curious how fast a skier might be traveling while crossing the wake. For example, the max speed that a 36 mph skier at 15 off is traveling when crossing the wake. I am sure someone has analyzed or even figured out a way to time it and I know it might vary with the skier, but I am sure there is some data out there. Anyone? FYI, I'm a 15 off 32 mph skier, always been curious what speed I reach at some point behind the boat.

• Baller

There was a WSM article on pro skiers and their times using a radar gun.

Maple and Jamie B. clocked in the 50's running 39.5 off at 36 mph, if I remember right.

See if it pops on Google.

• Baller

There had been a video last year on FB of someone skiing at 58kph with a GoPro that had a built in gps speed sensor mounted on his ski tip. The actual speed was displayed in the video screen. IIRC it went up to almost 80kph.

It was maybe Trent Nelson Cranfield.

Probably also depends on if your a light on the line, carry speed around the ball kind of skier. Or a stop the ski, crank a turn, and lean lock to the other side again! I doubt Andy and other pro's are the latter of the two.

• Baller

@blinddog I too have always been curious about this, so back at Easter I did a short test run with my Garmin activity tracker watch. I was free skiing -15 @ 32mph, and it said the fastest I went was 72.8km/h, which is 46.5mph. No doubt this would have been across the wake. It also mapped it as it has GPS, so I have a map of red zig-zaggy lines on the water part of the map. I intend to do it again through the course when our season starts again.

lgtalimvxd9o.png