Hitching trailer woes -ideas?

cragginshred

• Baller

Now that the public lake is full and a course is going in it's time to get my Nautique out run it hard. I have had good and very bad ball alignment hitching times. Monday night it literally took me 10x up going back and forward trying to get it aligned. Having the wife help is out of the question.................need I explain?

In years past I tried the magnet antenna deals with tennis balls on top and that was not so effective. Other tools or strategies??

Thanks,

Don

• Baller

Yup, if you can't figure it out then a backup camera should work. How are you backing up, looking over your shoulder or actually using all your mirrors? I just line up the middle of my back window in the rear view with the center of the boat and it is rarely more than an inch off.

Alternately - it is a ski boat on what I assume is a single axle trailer, just pull it over to the hitch.

• Baller
The backup camera on my new truck even has lines that curve that show me where the truck is heading and its very accurate. Backing up and hitching up is a snap. If you get aftermarket, make sure its designed to have the camera mount in a position to see the hitch. The camera on my wife's Sequoia does not see the hitch and its almost as useless for purposes of hitching up.

• Baller

backup camera is the way to go. I always hitch up my trailer solo while my wife is corralling the kiddo getting food packed. Before the camera I used to look over my right shoulder and imagine a straight line to the bow of the boat which usually got me centered. I would then get close enough while still knowing I wouldnt hit the trailer against my truck, hop out and get a more accurate distance and just inch my way back.

But with the camera, it takes maybe 5 minutes to back up, hitch up, pull forward, throw on my swim deck and pull out of the garage.

• Baller

No back up camera in current truck, likely upgrading but for now none. Dual wheels on trailer so hard to move.

@UWSkier just followed your link... the ?? threw me at first. Must have been a keystroke error for !!.

Looks pretty cool, thanks!

• Baller

Pretty easy to add one - the ones that replace the rearview mirror and show the camera view on one side are the nicest, Then you can actually be using your rearview and have a second lower view of the hitch. This one is pretty similar to the one my daughter has in her car.

Rearview camera

• Baller
Our trucks are crew cab and the rear seat has a center headrest. I get the truck fairly straight to the boat then use the rear view mirror to align the center of the headrest with the bow stop on the trailer. As I back in I continuously monitor other mirrors etc. When Close I stop and check then make inching adjustments if needed.

• Baller

I made a DIY backup camera using a cheap WiFi camera (I only paid $15 for it) using my android tablet as the monitor. I use Tasker on power-up to put the tablet in hotspot mode for the camera to connect, open a browser, and connect to the camera stream. The camera is mounted on the inside of my Explorer hatch so that when I open it the camera is pointed down directly over the hitch. It works pretty well.

There are similar pre-built systems available, like this one but I just didn't want to spend that kind of money for the convenience. It only takes me 2 or 3 tries at getting close enough without the camera.

• Baller

I put a piece of tape on the center of my tailgate on my excursion that I can see through the rear view mirror. My truck has some bolts in the center of the tailgate. I grew up around ranching so its pretty much second nature. I started hooking up trailers when I was 8 years old.

I've been looking into a backup camera for the excursion. The backup camera makes it so easy.

• Baller
The key is making sure you are not coming in at an angle. If backing straight in, using side mirrors and making sure equal amount of trailer fender is sticking out on each side makes it a one try process. When I raise the tongue with the jack, I always only raise it so it barely clears, that way when I back in next time really slowly I can feel it hit the locking mechanism on the coupler (which hangs down a little when open). Once I feel that, I pull forward about a quarter inch, set the parking brake so it holds that exact location, get out and lower the coupler onto the ball. (empty vs full tanks of fuel on my suburban can mess with this a little) I have had many comments like "you must have a backup camera". I don't. If you can see the bow of the boat through the back window, even easier. The main thing is coming straight back. Coming back at an angle is a 200 level course:)

• Baller

@cragginshred I didn't mount the camera on the bumper, it's mounted on the inside of my hatch:

weqfmyxnkg3n.jpg

eehmptlse4t9.jpg

You'd have to find a way to mount it and power it.

I'm not using a special app for viewing, I'm using RTSP streaming to a browser. Since it's wireless, you want as little between the camera and the viewer as possible to reduce delay. There are only 2 devices on my network, the camera and the tablet. It's not quite "real-time" ... there is a small delay with my setup, but it's usable.

You could probably use your iPad for RTSP streaming to a browser, but there is no equivalent to the Tasker automation app in android. Also, the iPad would need to be a cellular model capable of setting up a hotspot, or you'll need to find another way to get the camera and iPad on the same network. Introducing a separate wireless access point might add enough delay to make it unusable.

• Baller
While we're on the topic of backup cameras, a relative of mine came up with an interesting solution for ultimate accuracy if you have a GM pickup. Open the tailgate, but loop one of the cables over the latch post so the tailgate only opens about halfway. Puts the hitch right smack below the camera for easier alignment.

• Baller

If it isn't a tandem trailer just pull it. Back before I had a trailer with tandems I would just stop 3-4 feet in front of the trailer and pull/walk the trailer right onto the ball. If you are on an incline or something other than a hard surface this might be hard though.

With my tandem trailer I just stop a foot or so shy with my ball squared up and pull the trailer straight on.

• Baller
I had a similar issue several years ago. Wife wasn't/couldn't help. No WiFi cameras then. Fortunately, I was able to teach my 7 year old how to help. Reducing/eliminating the angle when backing up will help significantly.

• Baller
Even coming in at an angle the mark on the tailgate helps. I look at the mark on the tailgate and the front of the boat. If your at an angle you can estimate the location of the trailer hitch pretty well. I usually get to were I'm 2 to 3 ft away and get out and look at it. It still takes around 5 times getting in and out of the vehicle to look. My wifes SUV came with a backup camera. I can get right on the money with the camera in here car.

• Baller

If I am hitching up on my own I simply use a rubber band to secure a vertical pole ( e.g. garden cane, telescopic tent pole, broom handle etc ) to the trailers hitching socket and supported by or stuck into the ground.

Assuming that the height of the pole is sufficient high , look over your shoulder back up and line up with the pole in the centre of your rear window /tailgate.

Mark the centre point with tape for reference if required.

Costs nothing and works. Easy

• Baller

If you cannot judge your distance from the hitch you can go a step further with the elaborate addition of a horizontal bar fixed to the pole slightly above the height of your tow vehicle.

Position it in line with your boat and vehicle and attach a vertical string with a light plastic ball ( e.g. hollow golf practice ball).

Calibrate the ball to just touch your window when you have the tow ball lined up with the hitch

This deluxe solution will be much more expensive than the basic solution detailed above costing you almost nothing.

• Baller

I hitch and Unhitch daily, with out a camera. I align center of rear window with center of boat/trailer. Get close. Stop and get out, judge my distance forward and back. 75% my alignment l/r is close enough by the center window technique.

So now I just have my distance forward and back to deal with. If I'm 12" short I get in the truck but keep driver door open and look for a mark on the ground, mulch, concrete stain etc and use that to gauge my 12" of travel that I need. I almost always hitch up within two attempts, the first attempt just for getting close and then I establish my ground marker for my 2nd and final attempt.

I always keep a 30" ridged pipe 1/2" diameter in my truck for those days when I'm 2" to the L or R, then use the pipe against hitch and trailer tongue to pry trailer over. I could pry a 10k pound 30' trailer trip axle that way.

• Baller
I have used backup cameras in others vehicles, work great, but I would rather spend that money on ski gear. So, when I park the trailer I put a piece of firewood behind my driverside rear truck tire, unhitch and pull away. I leave the fire wood in place. When its time to head to the lake I back up and line up the outside of the firewood with my tire and drive until I hit the wood, works flawlessly. I park my tandem axle on gravel, so the only movement I get by hand is the flex in the jack. I go months without moving the wood (I use it to guide my parking as well). If you can't leave a piece of wood out, a small dot of paint or a large nail would work.

• Baller

There was a Miller Lite commercial about 20 years ago where you could see a guy's feet propped up on his porch drinking a Miller as he watched his neighbor repeatedly attempt to back a boat trailer up his driveway.

Tag line...... "Time was a man knew how to handle his equipement".. or something to that effect. ;)

Truth is with all the new back up camera technology I'm afraid I will loose a skill gained in my youth after untold numbers of trips to the driver's seat to the bumper.

• Baller
You don't need all that fancy crap, just need to learn how to back up. One of my ski partners is the local Nautique dealer and I help deliver boats in the spring and fall. On a good day I can deliver up to 10 boats which means hooking up and unhooking multiple times as I have to move boats to get to the one I'm delivering. First pick something in the back of your vehicle that lines up with the ball. Its helps to be as straight as possible to the boat. Begin backing up and stop when you're fairly close. Get out and check how far you have to go and how straight you are to the trailer tongue. Get back in your vehicle and hang your foot out the door close to the ground. Pick out a reference point by your toe and then estimate the distance you need to go on the ground . Move the vehicle back until you toe reaches that spot and stop. Also if you were not lined up correct with the wheel. Get out and check your progress, you should be in the ballpark. You do not have to be exactly lined up side to side as you can move the tongue a good 6 inches either way with your foot as you lower it. Very rarely do I have to get out more than 2 times hooking up and if I do I'm going to get all kinds of sh*t from everyone.

Others have said it...and I'll pile on. Lots of aides out there, but there's really no substitute for experience. Years of knowing your hitch ball location at the back of your vehicle and just knowing where the trailer tongue is. If on concrete or other hard surface, get the ball within 8" of the front of the tongue and +/- 4" of centerline... then role the trailer over the ball and drop it. If you can't roll the trailer, just keep backing till ball within 4" radius... then you should be close enough to waggle it on.

• Baller

I usually back till I just tap the hitch on the tongue then inch the truck forward set the parking brake and go give it a look - 90% of the time between using the jack and shoving it backwards with your leg you can get it to drop on.

If you don't set the parking brake I find the truck rolls to much and you keep going back and forth trying to beat the roll that happens when you come off the brake pedal.

One of my trailers has a telescoping tongue instead of a folding tongue with hitch pins - and with that one if I'm too far away I pull the pins slide the tongue out, then i'll have someone drop the pin in as I back the truck up.