Doing more with less

Razorskier1

• Baller
Going through chemotherapy I am learning that my energy is quite diminished. My drive to ski and ability to ski are significantly impacted. It's weird trying to start the season sking jus a couple times a week for one or two sets of 6. It will be interesting to see if I can manage to get back to where I was last season under these constraints.

• Baller

Actually being a bit more relaxed about sking or not skiing, has improved my skiing a lot, I think sometimes when you are really eager to get on the water, you do lose focus, when you ski a lot, fatigue sets in very slowly, skiers sometimes are not aware and get agitated when their skiing starts to go off, looking for answers that are not there.

@Razorskier1 work on Quality not Quantity, One Good set is better than 10 Bad Ones, don't chase bouy's, don't put pressure on yourself to get back where you were, take time out and enjoy your skiing, it will all come back to you, when the time is right.

• Members
Don't feel bad @Razorskier1 , I've got a brand new boat on my lift (FINALLY) and with weather and other obligations/ distractions, I'm getting about one set a week this year so far!!

• Baller_
Yep, went through this. Got to the point (Melanoma for me--get your skin checked..seriously) were I rode on 2 skis around the lake once and was done. This went on for a year. Was told by a wise oncologist to "..find your passion keep doing that no matter what". I asked if he had ever given this advice to a water skier and he said no but gave it to a snow skier so could not see why not. I even opted to not have a port put in just so I could ski. They stuck me 3 times a week. My arms looked like a drug addict. But that one set once a week was the only time I felt normal inside and out even if it was just a quick ride on 2 skis. It is the thing that kept me going. My wife to this day thinks it is what kept me alive. Came out on the other end a better skier. Lighter, stronger (believe it or not) physically and mentally and treated myself to new to me gear and a trip to Cali for the Nationals. Don't concern yourself with stats and scores and comparative progress. I know that's not what keeps you in this sport @Razorskier1. The love of being on the water and the way it makes you feel does. Family time. Time with friends. Scores do not mean crap to me anymore. It's fun to see them at times. But it's more fun just to be out on the water.

• Baller

@Wish

Wish (Not intended) i could also give you a ''Like'' and an ''Insightful '' too...

@Razorskier1

I'm coming back from a ruptured Achilles (nothing compare to your '' constraints'' ) .

Slalom skiing is a VERY demanding sport (like you wouldn't know already...)

You're an athlete,you'll be back better next year! Better.

I' ve accepted already that no PB will be set this year and already working on my 2018 season

Please,don't be too hard on yourself and good luck!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
@skiboyny While you are generically correct, you miss the point. Prior to cancer I could run two sets of 12 passes including 10 35s and a couple of 38s and still be fresh. It was quality AND quantity. Now I have to cut back quantity and it sucks.

• Baller
@Razorskier1 I get the point just fine. You have much to be proud of. You have developed a skill set that will not go away. When your body is ready you will be right back to those stats. Any thing that takes us away from the sport we love is devastating. Looking at the bigger picture though, right now you have a much bigger problem to focus on than 38 off. Better is better!

• Baller

Run openers, 32s...maybe a cheater rope just cuz 33.5 is fun. A little 35 off feel with less wear n tear.

Ski it well and every once in a while run down the line might be surprised to be attaching beyond purple cuz u know how and your fundamentals are good.

Don't think quite as much, just enjoy the swing. Play with equipment, try another ski...I'm useless want to try a 68 Vapor? Maybe less pull effort on a 68 than ur 67.

That would also allow u to do the usual...dial in a ski and give it back all set up to rock!!

• Baller
@Razorskier1, to be fair, when we skied 12+ pass sets it was because we skied every day starting in April and built up that endurance but at the beginning of the season we were taking 6s and 8s. Not surprising you don't have the usual endurance when you aren't able to train as often