Masterline Pro Lock Gloves

Steveo

• Baller
Anyone using these? I usually buy the K Palms but they were out of stock so I picked up a pair of Pro Locks. Was wondering if there is any sort of adjustment period as I have never used a pair of clincher style gloves.

• Baller
I hate these things. In theory yes it takes to load off of your grip but it has to go somewhere and in my opinion it unnaturally puts that load it in your forearms, elbows, shoulder, etc.. Stick with the gloves and when your grip is tired its time for a break.

• Baller

I didn't have any issues moving to Pro-locks. I went to Pro-locks not so much for grip but to protect my hands from getting beat up. I used to have a very bad blister issue even with tape and glove liners.

Two things to help with the transition first the nylon straps can be slippery when new so rough them up a little with some sandpaper. Second you could remover the dowel from the tip of the glove. You will still get some grip assistance but it may make for an easier transition.

• Baller

In Pro Locks gloves my skiing day lasts much longer.

It is vitally important for me during skiing week vacations.

Without them after first two days I am sitting on jetty with sore arms and salivating looking on lucky friends with monster fingergrip.

• Baller
If you can get Masterline Curves, tell me where. To my knowledge they've been unavailable for over a year. I like 'em, but can't get 'em. I always used Kevlar of some brand, but after I tried the Curves I found them to be great. Handles last longer too, buy alas....

• Baller

As others have said you may need to go to a smaller handle since there is more material between your hand and the handle (added layer for the strap). Outside of that the two adjustments I noticed were to not "death grip" the handle and on occasion letting go. The prior is and easy adjustment, you need to relax your grip a bit and only need to "curl" your hands, the straps and dowels will do the rest of the work. On the latter, I have felt like I couldn't let go of the handle, with regular gloves you relax your grip and the handle will slide out of your fingers. With these you need to open your hand. Now I have only experienced this when I have time to think about letting go. In a crash, I don't notice this perception of not feeling like I can let go.

With that said any of the strap and dowel designed gloves will let you hold onto way more than you probably should which could get you into trouble if your the type that "doesn't let go".

I will say I rotate off the prolocks mid season for a few weeks but I start to get carpal tunnel from normal gloves and switch back.

• Supporting Member

I like/love them and they definitely help me ski longer.

FYI- I just received a new pair this past week from Masterline. The dowel on this pair is definitely smaller than my older pairs. The dowel itself is enclosed/sewn in at edges and not "open ended" like the older pairs. This is where some skiers on the board here liked to knock the dowel out.

Being about 20 lbs too heavy/out of shape and only skiing 1x week, I kind like more of a Lock/Hook, so I might try/look to the Radar version next time.

You may have some slight adjustment if you roll the handle to your fingertips (think extreme) in a turn.

Look forward to your thoughts after your next trip out.

• Baller
@wayne yeah I probably have the death grip going on so not sure how that will work out. I'm using a 1in diameter handle so should be good there. Was not really looking to ski longer just have noticed my hands are getting beat up ( see death grip). Maybe this will help me relax more. Thanks all for the input.

• Baller
Speaking from experience with these gloves its not all upside and I'm currently weaning myself off them because I've had a couple of mildly disturbing injuries. Its absolutely correct to say that when you shift the load from your fingers to another area there is potential for side effects. To be specific I damaged a nerve in my right wrist and lost feeling between my thumb and index finger, it took 3 months to return to normal. I also developed an elbow issue that forced me to switch my grip, I've since started skiing again with 41 tails normal grip and things have returned to a relative normal state. I still like the clincher style gloves a lot but they may not be for everyone.

• Baller

Clincher style gloves rock. I'm much less handle sensitive, I resist blisters and have a more powerful grip. What's not to like?

The release can be a problem. I use a rubber band at the base of the fingers to keep the webbing close to the fingers to solve that. Simple, cheap and effective. I can drop the handle as quickly as bare handed with the rubber band.

The webbing can be slick on new gloves. I poke holes with a hot nail to improve the grip. Also painting the webbing with wetsuit glue works until they break in. I like a good grip so I rub surf wax on old gloves to keep them sticky - but that's not a Clincher only trick.

All gymnasts use a dowel grip for good reason.

Lisa used to love them but developed some hand/wrist issues and had to switch. So it's a personal preference.

Eric

• Baller
I think the hand and wrist issues come when the gloves don't fit properly. I find when the gloves are too big they bother my wrists. I buy them so that I almost can't get them on when they are dry and they stretch out when wet. I haven't had a hand or wrist issue since then.

• Baller
@LeonL they aren't available....haven't been for a long time. Randy & the Crew at Masterline assure us that they have gloves in the works....that said they will be all new designs...so you will want to try them on for fit. When they are available....we can let you know. Bill @Performance

• Baller
After reading the comments I decided to exchange the Pro Locks for a pair of Radar Vapor K gloves. I have enough to think about without worrying about how my gloves will perform. Also did not want to modify the gloves: sand strap, add glue etc. and render them nonreturnable. I think I will like the Boa closure system as it really lets you get a tight fit.

• Baller

Been using Clinchers since early 90's. Currently prefer Vice. Three tips I've leaned. (1) Always use a wire brush or sandpaper on the straps before using. (2) Soak in hot water, put them on, and pull on a handle tied to a tree and stretch them out. (3) When switching to new gloves after all the above, only switch one glove at a time for the first couple sets.