Too late in life to do a deep water with both feet in? Thoughts? Tips?

Tdub

OK, not on my death bed quite yet but at 67 I am pretty set in my slalom ways. I have always done my deep waters dragging one leg but I find lately that I seem to be having more issues. Being pulled out the front and stressing my hamstring being one of many. My two sons have always tried to convince me to switch to both feet in. They can't imagine dragging one. I tried both feet in a few times and it just seemed impossible...and I have been skiing close to 50 years. Should I try to change? Any advice will be appreciated.

• Baller
Before you try and change I would try to do more stretching and strengthening on off days/in the off season. The one leg get up is much easier on you back because the ski is more angled in the water vs a two foot get up where the ski is more vertical. A short term option would be a two ski get up and drop 1, something you could try in order to avoid that would be to simply try to keep your knee to your chest, tucked in your ball longer before standing up.

• Administrators

I would assume that two feet in is going to be more physical work and have the opposite effect. Perhaps it's time to look for a slightly wider ski that get you out of the water with less strength

• Baller
I'm 73, and probably no one is more set in their slalom ways than I. I used a rear toe piece and drug my back leg for years. I switched to double boots after my back foot came out going through the gates at Nationals some years ago. Dragging the back leg was always much easier for me. I prefer it to this day even though I don't do it anymore. If you have developed issues getting up with one foot out, you have changed something in the way you get up. Perhaps you are no longer keeping your ski in front of you with your knee bent. Hamstrings get stressed when your upper body goes forward while your leg is locked straight. Keeping your ski leg in your chest (knee has to be bent) should prevent you from being pulled out the front as long as the ski tip stays above the water. If you continue to have problems, it is not impossible to switch to getting up with both feet in. It may take a while to get comfortable, but you can do it.

• Baller
Hey @Tdub, I think I might have an idea for you. Let's get out and ski this weekend and I can show you. The weekend weather looks like we are finally going to get some relief from the wind. Give me a shout and we can figure out a time to go out.

• Baller

Thinking about it, you only need a second widerstarter ski for a few feet if you're still athletic enough to slalom on one.

Dreaming of an anchored \ bungee tied\bouy tied short fat ski with easy in and out binding...

Get up on two for quick planning within 10-15 feet then drop.Ski is always in the same spot

just drop beside it,put in back on and repeat each end.

Easier on private site.

Ok, i'll shut up now...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

1. Stretch hamstrings daily for a couple weeks

2. Remember to let your knee come up into your chest at "go boat."

3. Have your driver pull you up a little less aggressively

If you are going to make the switch to two foot starts, keep knees as close together as possible and try to sit on your back heel. Butt low, stand slow.

A bigger ski would definitely help, even if only for a while until you master the starts.

• Baller
@Tdub I switched last year to 2 boots due to groin and hamstrings issues. It was pretty easy to do, and also switched from being dragged to a hard and fast pull up. As soon as you feel the water pushing you up I just dig the rear heel down and bam there you are up and standing. Try taking off with your rear foot in the toe strap a few times and a harder pull up.

• Baller

A few thoughts on starting with both feet in:

1. Before the boat goes, lean to the left if your LFF - or right if your RFF. The boat will straighten you out naturally on take off. This will eliminate the wobbling from trying to maintain a dead neutral vertical position.

2. Suck your rear foot under your butt - this helps get the ski at a 30 degree angle to the surface and will rise up easier

3. As others said keep your chest over the front knee, and when the boat goes I push a bit and hold that position until the ski planes.

By pushing forward a bit with the front foot you in effect create a pocket by diverting the water around you which reduces drag.

Often times my starts feel almost effortless - of course that could be because my wife is an awesome driver...

I started dragging as a teen, once I switched in my late 30's I never went back!

Good luck.

Something I have found that most skiers are taught which is a mistake is to keep your arms straight. When your arms are straight, the only part of your body that can give to the pull of the boat is your back so you get pulled over onto your face. There is lots of strength in your biceps so bend your arms, tuck your knee into your chest and when the boat starts pulling, you can let some line out with your biceps. Maybe that will help.

• Baller

When I was teaching my kids I found that both were helped by getting their front toes up near the surface of the water.

Having enough ski out of the water caused them to roll on top of the water as the boat pulled them forward rather than plowing through the water.