Handle diameter / Glove thickness

Horton

• Administrators

For about 45 years I have used a 1.00 x 12 handle. That is just what I have always used. With that handle I have used padded Kevlar gloves and when the water is hot I also wear liners.

This spring I used the Stokes gloves and loved them until the water got hot. I also have some of the Miami Nautique (green) gloves that Kim sent me. They are very nice but with a 1.00 handle it is “no bueno”. So on the advice of Randy at MasterLine I have ordered a 1.062 x 12.

My assumption is that thin gloves and bigger handle will be similar to thicker gloves and a smaller handle. So many top skiers swear by the thin gloves ( Pro Gear/ Stokes / Miami Nautique ) that I just have to give it a go.

Randy also told me that the bigger diameter handle should be easier on my hands and tendons.

• Baller
I use the same diameter handle and switched to the MSN gloves last season. Really like them but need to wear liners because they are so thin. Even with the liners, I think I can feel the handle better than with 'regular' gloves, plus the liners seem to help reduce blisters/callus.

• Baller_
Thin gloves and a small diameter handle are the way to go. It allows you to get your fingers around the handle instead of using your hand. I use a .950 with the MSN gloves and never have any hand issues. Kevlar coated gloves beat up your hands and trash handles.

• Baller
Hey J.H.: This is a good topic because I haven't seen any real discussion on it. But, how your handle and gloves are working for you definitely seems like a big deal for any slalom skier. I just experimented, and since I started skiing more, got to notice that my handle hurt my hands pretty often. At that point I went from something less than 1.00" to a 1.062". It helped a lot. First one was Proline, second (larger) one was 13 x 1.062 Masterline. I don't have a reason for doing it (just got the idea from someone else), but like you, I use the lab-glove fabric liners when it's hot. Recently had to do that in Florida where I was for a week. In Pacific NW, I have another remedy, where I wear latex gloves under Kevlar ski gloves. That provides a cushion layer which seems to prevent calluses from ripping off. However this failed in Hotter/More Humid Florida weather. One more input: Maybe the handle diameter would depend on your hand size. My hands are XL (gloves anyway) so larger handle works for me but maybe there is a size match depending on the length of your fingers, etc? At ski camp they told me to wrap your fingers around the handle instead of seating it in your palm if it starts to hurt. Well I don't know if it helped ... but at that point there was much soreness at the end of a week of nonstop skiing, so it might have been beyond any solution other than resting.

• Baller

I ski with a Guy that has just been through this exercise, he has had some real bad issues with tennis elbow, tried a thicker radius handle and various combinations of gloves, he either had grip issues or his hands were getting torn up, for the moment he has dumped the 1.062 and gone back to his original diameter handle, but with radius and his glove/underglove setup, the bigger radius handle, he tried was a Accurate and has more radius than the Masterline that he is now using, he seems to think it would be good if Masterline had a bit more radius, so there has been a small modification.

His elbows were getting to the point where, he was looking at retirement from skiing, even though he was having quaterzone, he is waiting for the quaterzone to wear off, to see if the radius handle is helping .

• Baller
Handle diameter is definitely relative to hand size, so what works for one, may not be ideal for someone else. I use a Medium glove. I was using a pretty thin glove, the obrien pro skin 3/4 (I like the open finger tips) with a 1.03 handle and was having blister issues last summer. When I added palm protectors the blisters went away, but the resulting larger diameter grip fatigued my forearms. Against all suggestions I went to a smaller diameter handle 1" and that solved the fatigue and with the palm protectors I don't have any blistering. With either configuration I haven't really had any elbo issues, so if that starts up it may change things.

• Baller

57nyum1816as.jpg

:)

I run the biggest diameter handle I could get (1.10) with some pretty thick gloves - Accurate World cup 3/4 fingers. Much easier to grip for me, but I've got pretty long fingers but not huge hands which is the reason I prefer the cutoff gloves.

• Administrators
@disland I have always run a 12" and when I use a bigger handle my hands get lost. It really freaks me out. I guess I ride the very ends of the handle most of the time.

• Baller
Handle length, ask yourself why the G.O.A.T used quite a short handle not sure of the size, but was thinking something like 10 inches, with this in mind your hands are always going to end up in the same place, but then you have to ask yourself, are you better off with a longer handle, if you have a large chest, if you have a large chest and small handle does it prevent you from keeping your shoulders square, the only reason I have always skied with a 12 inch 1.0 diameter handle, was because at competitions back in the day, that was what was handed to you on the dock, personal handles were not allowed.

• Administrators
I have about 6 sets with my new 1.062 MasterLine. I can not believe how much easier it is on my hands. Tonight I tried the 1.062 with thin gloves and the jury is still out. I will go back out with kevlar gloves tomorrow. I will not be going back to the old 1.00 handle any time soon if ever.

• Baller
I recently bought a new handle and ordered the 1.06 diameter by mistake. Turns out that it is much easier on the hands even in the hot memphis summer. I expected to have issues with the transition from 096 but no problem there.

• Baller
I run a 1.03 ho gloves and Kevlar liners. I've found the larger diameter is easier on the hands. The thin handles I just can't find in my hands so I tend to over grip where the larger diameter feels more natural... there is a perverse joke hiding in there somewhere but I'm going to leave it alone.

• Baller
I totally agree @parkerc2112 This year I've been skiing behind several other boats as well as my own. We all seem to have different handle dia. and shapes (mine is slightly oval or D shaped). So far I have no bloody callouses, no sore wrists or shoulder joints. Last year at this point in the season I had ripped and wrecked callouses and couldn't ski for a week my forearms were too sore. I think changing diameters and shaped handles regularly is the answer to hand and arm care.

• Administrators

Update. the bigger handle was thrashing my forearm muscles and tendons. I switched back today to the 1.00.

Going forward I think I will switch every other ride or so.

• Baller
Yep....thats what I found when I went to the palm protectors. Hardly had enough forearm strength to finish a set. 1" with palm protectors, through the summer, no forearm fatigue and no blisters..... I'm fortunate I don't really have elbo/tendinitis issues at this point.