2018 Vapor

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Well I am no Horton when it comes to ski reviews but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night! Thanks to @bigtex2011 I got a set on the new Vapor and was very impressed as to how easy it was from the first pullout! I just threw my bindings on at stock setting and with Chris's fin settings! I thought it would be typically sloppy for the first few passes but the ski was very stable and felt like i had been riding it for weeks! It feels fast but controlled and i ran back to back for my first 3 rope lengths! I know its just the first set but I felt more space in front of the bouy and was just waiting to turn when i wanted! the ski turned both sides with absolutely no issues! I didn't feel like i had to think what to do on the off side the ski just turned! I have had some health issues and injuries but I am confident i will set my first pb in 2 years on this ski! i cant get my hands on one soon enough! Oh and Chris had both colors and they both look awesome! Thanks Chris Springs and Team Radar! And thanks Dawg for telling me I had to try it!

• Baller
I am certain the new Radar is fabulous (I love my 16 Vapor Lithium!!!), but y'all sound like sales people! Don't you know, when you find a great ski, you don't tell ANYBODY! Why would you want Erb to be kicking your ass because he got a great ski ;-)

• Baller
@UWSkier 14's and 15's had windows. They had trouble getting the part in 16 I believe. Some of the first skis off the line had cutouts for windows, but no inserts. Later skis that year were solid. 2017 has windows as well.

• Administrators

Chris Rossi set out to recreate our new flagship ski with one goal in mind. He wanted to design a ski that carried more speed and generated better angle than anything on the market. Rounder bevels allow the ski to roll edge to edge quicker, ultimately sending you earlier into the buoy than ever before. A new concave gives the ski more support in the turn yielding tight, powerful turns that seem automatic. The final piece to the puzzle was our new rocker profile; moving the contact point closer to your feet makes the ski stay level throughout the entire pass. This increases speed behind the boat and allows you to carry this speed through the turn. The new Vapor is undoubtedly our best ski yet, give it a rip.

Shape

A new outline profile for Vapor in 2018 completely redefines what we previously thought possible on a ski. More width through the tail makes the ski sit more level and allows speed to be carried more consistently than before. The area right under your front foot has an increased taper, which lets the ski move through the finish of the turn easier and allows the tip height to stay constant, ultimately increasing efficiency. The wide spot of the ski has been moved forward, which gives you the ability to stand over your front foot with confidence.

Rocker

Rocker defines the pivot point on a ski; for 2018 we’ve moved that contact point closer to the ball of your front foot, which helps the ski pivot easier. The tight radius quick turns are then balanced with our new tail rocker lines that add tail support off the buoy, giving you the ability to build more speed from a wider point. The last piece to the rocker profile is our updated tip rocker. More height here helps the finish of the turn happen more quickly and with more stability.

Concave

We’ve increased concave depth through the front half of the Vapor in 2018. This added depth gives the ski more lifting properties which translates into support for the skier. Due to the increase in concave depth and added mass in the middle of the ski, we’ve taken out the step found in the previous version of the Vapor. Removal of the step puts more pressure on the bevels of the ski and gives the ski the ability to roll on edge easier; this provokes more tip pull from apex to turn completion. More support combined with more pull is all any skier can ever ask for in a ski.

Bevels

A new rounder bevel allows the Vapor to roll edge to edge more smoothly, provides the skier more ability to increase edge angle, and makes for smoother, more dynamic turns. The new bevels have increased contact with the water, which allow the ski to decelerate into the turn and allow the skier to have a tight line at apex. With the rope tight at the height of the turn the skier is able to generate speed from the wide point allowing for more angle and earlier lines in the course.

CorFlex

The addition of corrugated contours through the tip of the ski allows it to flex when loaded at the finish of the turn. Through the utilization of CorFlex, the ski is able to flex more with the same amount of carbon in the layup. By keeping the same amount of carbon, more energy can be created through the loading and unloading process in the turn. The ski is easier to turn, quicker to accelerate, and creates space more efficiently before the buoy with the addition of CorFlex.