Places to live if you want to ski more?

davebuc

Howdy,

I am between jobs right now.

I really love skiing and am interested in relocating to a place where I can ski in a slalom course 3+ days a week.

Presently, I live in the St. George, UT area, and ski open water 1x a week, and get pulls in a course 1-2 days a month through a ski club in Newberry Springs, CA.

I don't have a pile of money I can drop on a lakefront home, or private lake home, so making friends or a club membership are probably the way I need to go.

My other recreation interests are hiking, backpacking and biking. Single, no kids, 1 dog and 1 SN200.

Caldwell, ID is intriguing. What other places might be options?

Thanks,

Dave

• Baller
There are several homes East Orlando Florida that are for sale or about to come on the market on private lakes no public access with courses on them. These are small lakes not man-made

• Baller

Is there a specific area of the country where you want (or do NOT) want to live? Where might your career take you?

As @LoopSki said the Northern CA has a significant amount of access to private lakes and ski courses. But it can be pricey (even in Sacramento) compared to other areas in the country.

• Baller

You looking for year-round skiing?

Mountain or road biking?

I'd recommend San Marcos TX. You have Austin nearby, the hill country for good cycling, year round skiing weather. There's actually a lot for sale in SMRR for not too much right now. Not directly on the lake, but gets you in the game (with dues).

• Baller
@davebuc We just drove from Henderson NV through Lake Mead NP and St George for two days at Zion NP. One of our fav' places. Lots and lots of places across the country for you to choose from. I know of just a few... NorCal (Sac to Shasta to Tahoe), Bay Area (Berkeley is a great ski club and killer hiking and biking over in Marin and Sonoma Co.), New England / New York (great ski clubs and the best for 4 season outdoors).

• Baller

Since you have a boat, eastern central (more southern) Florida is a great place to live. You have a short drive to Okeeheelee in West Palm and multiple spots on up to Stillwater Lakes in Palm Bay. The skiing out here is fantastic! And it doesn't get "cold" like Orlando does in the winter. Miami is a cool spot too. Just get on google earth and check them out.

• Baller
@davebuc I have a lot for sale at Whitestone Lakes in the North Georgia Mountains, convenient to Atalnta, two lakes with two SN boats, great hiking and biking, low cost of living. On Ski it again post id # SIA40246.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

Anywhere between Sacramento and and Chico in Nor. Cal. is a good bet and the further north the cheaper it gets to live. We have plenty of open water skiing and many private lakes and membership lakes. There is great riding, both on and off road and tons of hiking opritunities. But it is California and alltimitly it is more expensive then most places.

• Baller
I have to second San Marcos. I haven't been to the ski site there, but my inlaws lived in the city for many years. If nothing else, you are within driving distance of Lockhart, TX...if you aren't a vegetarian, that place is mecca. The Kolaches at Centerpoint, the breakfast burritos at LaFonda...this is why I couldn't live in San Marcos...I would be too fat to get around the balls!