2008 343 engine missing

TEL

• Baller
My 2008 196 has had for the last year a cold engine miss normally it was when sitting more than 2 days and only the first 2 or 3 pass through the course. Now every day and for 10 or more pass, then it runs perfect. Thing I have changed, water temp censer, fuel filters, cap and rotor, inlet screen in fuel tank cleaned, checked for water in tank non, checked plugs look great also have turned off Zero Off not the problem. It seems like when the oil gets hot is when it runs perfect. I put sea foam in the oil and let it run on the lift (yes it was sitting in the water) for a 15mins then let it sit over night the warmed up again an changed oil and filter. No change the same. talked to the local dealer service manager and he had no idea. What the F, any ideas help

• Baller

YOUR ENGINE IS MISSING!?! WHO STOLE IT!?!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You didn't mention that you changed your wires, have you done that?

I would also get a temp gauge, run it for a little while and see if it is a specific cylinder or if it is more random than that.

• Baller
Have not changed wires will tank an ohm meter to them, my thought was resistance would go up as they got hot. Did not want to get in the vicious circle of replacing parts.

• Baller
Wires are just a good thing to replace...especially if you have a miss. There can be a micro tear in the sheathing that arcs and causes a miss. After that you start getting into ignition modules and the like...but cap, rotor, wires, plugs...I plan to do those every season just because of the conditions they are used in.

• Baller_
The plugs wires could be leaking current/voltage. Lower quality or older wires could have compromised shielding. If you replace, do so with a high quality plug wire.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

A non CAT engine? Most likely you'll need to reset the CAM retard value. Your engine plate says CAM retard 0-4 degrees wich is what it was factory set with. There was a tech update from PCM in 2009 that said to change CAM retard to 7 degrees, if that operation hasn't been performed that is most likely the culprit.

You'll need a Diacom to read that value, then turn rhe distributor until it is set @ 7 degrees.

• Baller_
@TEL : Did you check the plugs after the engine cleared up and ran fine, or did you stop and check them while the engine was still missing? Is the miss intermittent or clearly a specific cylinder(s)? Another potential could be an injector(s) may not be atomizing the fuel when cold.

• Baller
Plugs can look great and still be bad. The internal connector through the ceramic insulator can break down over time. Unless the plugs, wires, rotor, and cap have low hours on them, I'd change them all.

• Baller

Seriously? Cam retard needs to be verified, it's a lknown issue with these engines.

For all of you that 's been chasing your tail, well, if PCM sends out a tech update for these engines addressing this specific symptom maybe it's worth looking into?

• Baller
DanE- that may be the problem when I bought the boat in 2012 with 450hrs it had never had a tune-up factory spark plugs still had paint over spray on them from the factory. Looking at the paint around the distributor and bolt they have never been touched. So who has a Diacom (What is it) in the Orlando area

• Baller

Link would not copy but here it is PCM Service Update PRODUCT INFORMATION UPDATE Updated CAM Retard Specifi cation for 2007-2008 Engines #SUP2009-01 February, 2009

This Product Information Update supercedes SUP2006-04, Information on Setting CAM Retard PCM 5.0L (Pro Ski) and 5.7L (Excalibur) engines, serial number range 470001 through 485993. When rotating the distributor on the affected engine, you are adjusting what is called “CAM Retard.” This parameter represents the position of the distributor rotor relative to the proper terminal in the distributor cap when the spark is delivered. The specifi cation indicated for this engine is 0-4 degrees. If the engine is set at 0 degrees, under certain precise RPM, temperature and load conditions, the engine can “crossfi re.” This means the spark jumps to the wrong terminal within the distributor. This can cause a slight backfi re or sputtering under this condition. To ensure this condition does not exist, CAM Retard should be set between 6-8 degrees on engines between serial numbers 470001-485993. This is a correction made to the tune-up specifi cations and should be checked and set to specifi cation during normal service intervals. In most cases, the problem does not exist. This is not an update that requires you to have the customer bring the boat in specifi cally for this update, it can be simply done during normal tune-up and/or commissioning procedures. A new specifi cation decal needs to be installed after the adjustment is made. Contact PCM in order to receive updated specifi cation decals, p/n R143170B-U, which indicates the correct CAM Retard specifi cation. NOTE: Engines built starting with serial number 485994 have been changed to a new specifi cation (15 +/- 2 Degrees) and circuit diagnostics added. These engines DO NOT need to be changed.

In order to properly set the CAM retard, the following scan tool MUST be used: PC Based Diagnostic Software: Diacom Diagnostic Software, Marine Edition, by Rinda Technologies, Inc. Available for purchase through PCM, P/N RT0086. 1. Connect the laptop to the engine’s data link connector. 2. Per the tool instructions, navigate the tool to view ECM data. 3. Find the engine parameter labeled “CAM Retard.”

4. Engine must be running in order to view the CAM Retard value. 5. CAM Retard value MUST be set between 6-8 degrees. If the value is within specifi cations, make sure the distributor hold down bolt is tight. 6. If the value is outside the specifi cations, loosen the distributor hold down bolt and slowly rotate the distributor until a value of 6-8 degrees is achieved. Tighten the hold down bolt securely, making sure the CAM Retard value does not go outside of the specifi cation. Once the distributor hold down is tightened, verify the value still remains between 6-8 degrees. Important: The basic principle that the distributor must be installed into the engine properly still exists. If the proper CAM Retard cannot be achieved, check the installation of the distributor. 7. Clean the surface of the old specifi cation decal and install new specifi cation decal, p/n R143170B-U.

Engines Affected: 2007-2008 5.0L MPI (Pro Sport) ALL S/N: 470001-485993 2007-2008 5.7L MPI (Excalibur) ALL