SLAP! Just like that my worst slump in 15 years is over!

LakeOneSkier

• Baller

I've struggled with my skiing this summer, worst I've skied in 15 years. Could be the new boat, could be an adjustment to Zero Off, could be the new ski, could be new bindings, yada, yada, yada. But more than likely it's just me.

Finally got some coaching from a lake neighbor early last week and immediately showed signs of improvement. Felt good, got excited about skiing again! And then a day later... SLAP!... took the nastiest out the front fall that I can remember and ended up with one painful ear.

Went to our GP the next morning and he said the eardrum looked traumatized and noticed blood behind eardrum, and to take a few weeks off. But since this was my right ear (and I only have a 20% range of hearing in my left ear) I set up an appt. with an Ear/Nose/Throat guy.

Saw the ENT on Monday and he confirmed the perforation; a pretty good sized hole from the pressure of the fall. He estimates recovery time, if it can heal itself, of 1-3 months. If it's not corrected itself after 3 months we'll then discuss scheduling a Tympanoplasty (patching of the hole).

So in a split second my ski season is over, no one to blame but myself. It was just absolute stupidity on my part to push for that 'one more' buoy. I was waaaay too late, pulled waaaay too long, waaaaay too much speed, got over the front to slam on the brakes, and there ya go.

Now I'm going to spend the rest of the summer pulling my son on his new passion, trick skiing. Perhaps I'll take that up next summer, the falls don't look too bad. :smile:

Maybe good fitting, molded rubber earplugs?? Maybe your ENT will let you ski with them now?

I've had a Stapendectomy in both ears and any audiologist can make a nice pair of earplugs. I don't wear them now but I did while my ears healed after the surgery.

• Baller

Don Parsons, who is the top old guy tricker, uses a neoprene beanie with a little brim. This protects his ears, quiets the distractions and prevents some sunburn. Plus it keeps his ears warm in that cold Idaho water. I've used this trick when I had ear problems.

Lots of slalom skiers wear a neoprene headband. They swear by it.

I wear earplugs all the time for noise protection. But the idea of whacking my head on the water and driving the earplug deep into my ear makes me shudder. I know lots of people use earplugs effectively for skiing but I prefer a bigger physical block for the tender ear.

Thread drift, I regularly (but not always) use rubbing alcohol for my ears. I suffer from swimmer's ear if I'm not careful. The eardrops help.

Eric

Sorry for the injury, I too thought you were working through skills issues.

• Baller

Sorry to read this...

We sometimes do stupid moves for just another bouy.

Completely ruptured my Achilles last season by my bad decision.

Take time to heal well!

Good luck!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller_

Hoping for a quick recovery for you.

As a PSA; caution on store bought earplugs...they can get pushed into the ear causing damage with an impact. Does not matter what kind. Custom ear molds are a sure thing. There are "do it yourself" kind but if you so much as mix molding material even a little wrong you will be at a dr office while he picks uncurred chunks of it out of your ear. An audiologist can fit you for molds that will float, have a bright color and a lanyard so you don't lose them (pictured). Well worth the cost if you have already sustained injury. "Doc's" ear plugs are another solution that won't get forced into the ear under impact but am unclear as to how the vented hole does not allow water to be injected into the ear with impact. They do however show a skier on their site under "x-treme sport"

7u9hmn4y73kn.png

• Baller

Hard-core barefooters are good to talk to about this. Former team mate of mine had a terrible knack for ruining his ears on barefoot falls. Started wearing a neoprene headband with ear coverage and problem solved.

Granted, skiing with your ears covered will take some getting used to...

@Wish that is exactly what I was talking about. Again, I used these after a stapedoctomy in each ear. Basically they cut and roll up your ear drum and then used a laser to remove the Stapes bone. They drill a little hole than use your own blood to "glue" in a new platinum and plastic Stapes. After about 7-10 days I was ok to use the custom fit plugs as shown above. Check with your doctor.

However now that your ear is injured, it may be too late to get the plugs molded to your ear. They may want things to heal before the make the plugs?

Anyway, they are not expensive, they do a GREAT job with sound attenuation and they are super comfortable. If nothing else, save your hearing when you mow the yard, etc.

• Baller
Perforated my eardrum 3 times. I have not skied without earplugs in over 20 years. Well worth wearing them. I believed it has saved me several more ear injuries. Don't need anything special unless you are trying to keep water out all together. You are just trying to stop a sudden rush of water in the ear. I use the simple foam cylinder type- the 3M E-A-R Classic earplugs. You can get a 30 pair pack on Amazon for $13.00. I realize right now you can't get it wet, but next year when it is healed these simple earplugs are the best. Do Not get the squishy foam ones, when they get wet they are useless.

• Baller
Hoping for a speedy recovery as well. Been there, about 15 years ago, in the course, went out the front and I too perforated my left eardrum. (Damn, that hurt!). The ENT suggested letting it heal on it's own, which it did in about a month.