Connelly Concept how far can it go

Canuck44

• Baller

I am wondering what the practical limits of a Connelly concept ski are. I am a 40 yr old who after a 20 year break from being a open rec skier have gotten back into slalom and have started trying the course. I am 6' and weight about 205 lbs I am using a 68" concept behind a nautique 216. I have gotten 30 mph at 15 off and am close to getting 32 (4 bouys). I also have access to a 69" p6 and a 67" F1 if they would be better. I would like to get a full pass at 34 mph and some shorter line lengths at 30 and 32. I know my technique needs work but should I be upgrading my ski too or is the concept plenty to get what I want?

Thanks, we also need someone to tell us what's wrong with our technique if there anyone in the Christopher or Emma lake areas let me know or I'll post a video.

• Baller

As far as I know there were various minor tweaks to the Connelly concept but never anything revolutionary. It is a ski from the mid 80's. I used to break mine out for club championships if it was whitecapping because I could run a 30 on it but my 08 prophecy didn't like below 32mph. However I sold it last year because it is a crap ski compared to anything modern. Get a new or at least less than 5 year old ski that suits your current needs.

Yes it is possible to run 34 on one and I used to be able to but they are so different and so much harder than current skis.

• Baller
Ok so I'm convinced to get a new one. The concept is a 2014 and I am happy with it compared to the junk combo skis I was using before but if it can be easier why not. Looking at a 69" senate alloy on ski it again and going to call Shuswap ski and board to see what they have too. I like my bindings on the concept any chance I can use them on the senate?

• Baller
I would love to demo one first but no local ski shop here and I don't know anyone with one. Looks like I will have to order one up unless anyone on here has one in the northern Sask area that they want to let me take for a ski

• Baller
I made some calls and perf ski doesn't ship. Shuswap has a 69" senate and so does backside board shop in Saskatoon for the same price . Think I will get one and give it a try. My concept felt good tonight but couldn't get past 3 at 32, 28 and 30 were easy though maybe it's just getting used to 32

• Baller
@Canuck44 Thanks for calling.... Demoing skis locally is what we are setup to do as we don't manufacture skis....and have a limited amount of demos. Beyond this, shipping internationally you have the in bound / out bound customs fees to deal with and shipping costs which honestly makes it unrealistic cost wise to do this. That said, like the companies who demo skis....sell them to you....then will take them back within 30 days if they are perfect...we could do something like that also..but again, we don't "refinish" skis and re-sell them...so if the ski is not pristine....you would not get the full amount back. Sorry this isn't the easy answer...its just the economics of the situation that limit it. That said, you can be assured if you buy a ski from us...it will be setup...fin adjusted...ready to ski. I'm amazed how this is not done by most shops these days....and its like buying a car without having the wheels balanced. Its the difference between have a ski that works vs one that doesn't. You will see skis starting to go off price in a couple weeks...so that might help make the situation easier...however supplies of 17 skis are dwindling... but we will have 2018 models rolling in as we do now. Bill @ Perfski.com Thx @Horton for the tag.

• Baller
@brettmag I checked with backside and they didnt have what I was looking for in a 69 they had a tx but I think I wanted the cx or the senate. Ordered a senate from Shuswap so hopefully it will get here by the weekend. The concept felt pretty good tonight so can't wait to try a newer ski.

• Baller
I would say a concept is fairly mild. An f1 however is possessed. When I first got mine nobody ever got past their second turn (I.e buoy 2 if there were a course) open water. Dumped everybody. Once you finally got used to it wow that thing went. But hard work I was exhausted after 4 passes thru course

• Baller

@Canuck44 if you think being a Canadian skier is hard to get gear in WESTERN Canada you want to try living in Prince Edward Island! That being said I have had great luck between SKI-IT-AGAIN and on this forum. My SYNDICATE A2 came from ski-it-again and @savaiusini was a wealth of information in questions I had before buying. Good luck and please report back with your review on the ski.

• Baller
So tried out the new senate alloy last night and today feels good but not the black and white I was hoping for guess I'm still going to have to work on my technique. At 32 mph I managed 4 bouys which I did before and at 30 I got 22 off which is a new pb. Ate it at 32 pretty good and shut it down. Ski turns faster for sure and carries more speed too.

• Baller
@Canuck44 I was on a 67" F1 for many years and skied my pb on it. Switched to a 2014 Prophecy and find it much easier and less tiring to ski on but have only come close to matching my PB. Just wondering how old the F1 is you were using and what kind of front binding was on it and what size. Reason for asking is that my old Connelly Vision front has finally ripped and I need a replacement. My old F1 was a 2005 or so, not sure exact age. If it works out I would be interested in buying the binding if its the right one and in decent shape. Can't seem to locate that old of binding anywhere online.

• Baller

@adkh2oskier - I might have a line on a pair Medium talon bindings, I sold my old F1 to a friend and they want to switch to a hard shell binding, so if the size is right I can connect you.

The binding are in great shape, i got them maybe 5 years ago to upgrade from the stoker bindings.

The are a LFF set up.